Lost communication between DF150 and both C10 display and Simrad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost communication between DF150 and both C10 display and Simrad

On my last trip, I lost communication between my DF150 and both my C10 display and my Simrad. None of the engine information (rpms, fuel usage, trim, etc.) was being displayed on the C10 or the Simrad. It had been working earlier in the day. I don't remember anything unusual happening, just looked at the displays later in the day and noticed the information was no longer there. The C10 and the Simrad were still communicating with each other as speed and depth info were being shared. All of my equipment are 2017 models. Any ideas where I might start looking. Thanks for any help.

Since the C10 and Simrad appear to be sharing data, it seems likely that something has happened to the engine interface or its connection to the network.

First, check the network device list under both the C10 and Simrad - with the engine key on, the Suzuki device should be listed. If it is not listed that would confirm a connection issue or failed interface cable. This test will also reveal if you can see all the other devices on the network, and that will show if the network is working as expected.

So suggest you:

1. check the physical connections - where the interface connects to the engine harness, and where it connects to the network. Make sure those white plugs are good, no loose or broken wires, and plugs are firmly connected to each other. Then .... if no luck

2. Swap the interface cable to a different T piece - it is not unheard of to get a T piece go bad, so if you have a spare T use tnat, or at least swap the interface to a known good T such as the C-10, and see if what happens - if the C10 stops working and the interface then works, ypu know which one is bad.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-01-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      Since the C10 and Simrad appear to be sharing data, it seems likely that something has happened to the engine interface or its connection to the network.

First, check the network device list under both the C10 and Simrad - with the engine key on, the Suzuki device should be listed. If it is not listed that would confirm a connection issue or failed interface cable. This test will also reveal if you can see all the other devices on the network, and that will show if the network is working as expected.

So suggest you:

1. check the physical connections - where the interface connects to the engine harness, and where it connects to the network. Make sure those white plugs are good, no loose or broken wires, and plugs are firmly connected to each other. Then .... if no luck

2. Swap the interface cable to a different T piece - it is not unheard of to get a T piece go bad, so if you have a spare T use tnat, or at least swap the interface to a known good T such as the C-10, and see if what happens - if the C10 stops working and the interface then works, ypu know which one is bad.

Thanks for the suggestions, Moonlighter. I will check these items tomorrow when I get home form work. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Comment

Moonlighter, I've checked a few of the things that you suggested. I'll list my observations, but keep in mind, I don't really have any experience dealing with marine electronics, so I might not describe everything correctly.

1) The motor does show up on the network device list. It is listed as "Suzuki Eng Interface (Cntr)". It shows up on both the C10 display and the Simrad display.

2) I checked all the physical connections I could get my hands on. I did not find any loose connections. I'm not sure what you meant by "white plugs", but I checked as many connections as I could.

3) I did not try a different T piece yet. I have 6 connections on my network. I know there is one for the Simrad, the C10, the Engine, the GPS, and the fuel measurement. I assume the other connection is power. I just haven't been able to identify which T piece goes to which connection for all 6 points yet. (I've got 3 of the identified).

4) One thing that is odd to me: On my "motoring" display page, I get red alarm symbols across the top of the display for the battery, engine, fuel, oil, temperature, water in fuel, and engine malfunction. Also, I don't get any display value for motor trim. However, when I go to the data list for the Suzuki engine on the network page there is a value displayed for the alternator, temperature, and trim %. I didn't have the motor running so there was no value for rpms or fuel usage, but I could raise and lower the motor and the trim % changed as I did this. However, the trim indication does not show on the display pages. That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it means something to you.

5) The NMEA Diagnostics page didn't really tell me anything. The Bus State is ON. There were 0 ** Overflows, 0 ** Overruns, 0 ** Errors, 0 Tx Errors. The Bus Load was 10 - 12 %. There were 4 Fast Packet Errors (whatever that means). I don't know if this information helps, but I though I would share it.

Anyway, this is all I've got tonight. Thanks for reading this, and I am appreciative of any help or guidance you or anyone else may have.

Comment

Ok, if the interface is showing up on the device list, then it should be communicating. And the fact that that data came thru says things are talking to each other. That is good, although it still odesnt rule out an intermittently faulty T piece. You might still have some wire tracing to do..... but try the suggestions below first.

Yes, your comment about the list of your devices is correct, the final T is the power connection.

1. Check that your batteries are well charged and in good condition -one thing the network doesnt like is a low battery charge, plays all sorts of weird tricks.

2. Turn everything that is attached to the network on. In the Simrad menu, network menu, device list, data sources, there should be an option to auto-select data sources. Select that and do it. It may pop up a question asking if you really want to do it, and yes, you do! So go ahead and complete the auto-select.

Now check engine data again.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            Ok, if the interface is showing up on the device list, then it should be communicating. And the fact that that data came thru says things are talking to each other. That is good, although it still odesnt rule out an intermittently faulty T piece. You might still have some wire tracing to do..... but try the suggestions below first.

Yes, your comment about the list of your devices is correct, the final T is the power connection.

1. Check that your batteries are well charged and in good condition -one thing the network doesnt like is a low battery charge, plays all sorts of weird tricks.

2. Turn everything that is attached to the network on. In the Simrad menu, network menu, device list, data sources, there should be an option to auto-select data sources. Select that and do it. It may pop up a question asking if you really want to do it, and yes, you do! So go ahead and complete the auto-select.

Now check engine data again.
            Moonlighter, that solved the problem. I charged my primary battery overnight just to make sure it had a full charge. I then connected the flushing water adaptor and started the motor. Made sure everything was on and then went through the Auto Select procedure. Everything is working and displaying properly on both the C10 and the Simrad. I'm going to charge my secondary battery now, just to be sure it is also good. Thanks for your help with this issue. I appreciate it.

Comment

Good stuff!

The auto-select data sources will often sort out situations where the network has somehow lost communications. So remember that procedure for future!

The comms issue may have been due to power supply issues due to a low battery or bad connection.

Comment

Working...
              X