DF140A Lean Burn Idle Air control valve issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140A Lean Burn Idle Air control valve issue

Hi fellow Suzuki owners. I have 2 x 2012, DF140A's on my Trophy. Both motors now have around 140hours and both motors have had the idle air control valve fail which also take out the CDI output for the valve. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and was there any other fix for it other than replacing the idle air control valve and the CDI.

Hi Duncan,
    I don't have a DF140A, so help me out. What is the CDI that you are referring to? I can think of no other way to "fix" a malfunctioning IAC other than replacement, although a sticky valve can usually be cleaned with a throttle body cleaner. But I also don't understand why a bad IAC would "take out" any other component.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

What is a CDI box?
      A:
      QUICK ANSWER
      A capacitor discharge ignition is an electronic device that stores an electrical charge and then discharges it through an ignition coil in order to produce a powerful spark from the spark plugs in a petrol engine.

I would be doubtful that the IAC valve and what is described as the CDI unit directly interact ..

I would highly suggest getting the desktop full service manual and read up on the IAC valve before you keep replacing parts that may not even be bad..

can you more fully describe exactly what your engines are doing that is leading up to your conclusion it was an IAC valve failure
      Art..

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
        What is a CDI box?
        A:
        QUICK ANSWER
        A capacitor discharge ignition is an electronic device that stores an electrical charge and then discharges it through an ignition coil in order to produce a powerful spark from the spark plugs in a petrol engine.

I would be doubtful that the IAC valve and what is described as the CDI unit directly interact ..

I would highly suggest getting the desktop full service manual and read up on the IAC valve before you keep replacing parts that may not even be bad..

can you more fully describe exactly what your engines are doing that is leading up to your conclusion it was an IAC valve failure
        Art..
        I'm familiar with CDIs, but am seriously wondering if that's what is being referred to here, which is why I asked what he means by the term. And you're right, as I said, there should be no correlation between the two that would cause a CDI or any other component to fail due to an IAC malfunction.

I find no reference to a CDI module in the DF140A parts list. As far as I know, the ECM provides the output that controls the idle speed via the IAC.
        Last edited by Harper; 02-18-2016, 01:33 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

If CDI = ECM then....

....get a new ECM!

It is a known fault and a production fault on software in ECM. You should got it changed for free! I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Antares580 View Post
            ....get a new ECM!

It is a known fault and a production fault on software in ECM. You should got it changed for free! I did.
            Really? I haven't seen any recalls on it. How did you make this happen?
            -Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan67 View Post
              Hi fellow Suzuki owners. I have 2 x 2012, DF140A's on my Trophy. Both motors now have around 140hours and both motors have had the idle air control valve fail which also take out the CDI output for the valve. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and was there any other fix for it other than replacing the idle air control valve and the CDI.
              If these valves are truly bad, do a little research before you buy new ones. They are super expensive! When I replaced mine, I discovered the part number has some auto applications as well. I bought my replacement at a much cheaper cost from an auto parts online store.
              -Shawn

Comment

I am aware of a "recall" on DF100-140 A series engines, due to a fault with the ECU related to the water in fuel sensor.

But to my knowledge, that issue has nothing to do with the IAC valve. If someone has knowledge to the contrary please post details.

I have seen several reports of IAC valves being replaced on the higher hp engines, only a few on the 100-140 series, but none have reported any impact at all on the ECU - simply clean or replace the IAC and it is sorted.

The IAC is made by Mitsubishi for Suzuki and is used on many other engines, both cars and marine. If you can get a genuine Mitsubishi version elsewhere it will be quarter the price of the OEM Suzuki version. Find the part number and google is your friend!

Comment

Recall DF100A-140A

When I serviced my DF100A the dealer said recall for new ECM was for missing functionallity water in fuel. But they said also that it was also a fix for an earlier recall/fault regarding regulation for the IAC valve. My engine had a harsh wobbling idle and sometime it stops. After change ECM everything was smooth and no stopping. And water in fuel worked.

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...i-recalls.html

Comment

Thanks for that, i would be willing to bet that the bad idle problem you had was a dodgy IAC valve from the start, and they simply replaced it at the same time as the ECU recall replacement was done.

Anyway, all good now.

Comment

How much do You bet...? ;-)
                      I was there during service of engine. They did not change IAC valve, but they mentioned if engine was older than(?-dont remember that) they also have to change valve. Luckily the engine was newer and only ECU was changed.
                      Software update regarding regulating IAC valve is an earlier update than water in fuel problem.

My DF100A is now a very nice machine! :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X