Dual Battery setup - DF175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Battery setup - DF175

New member here, I have a Dusky Bay with a DF175. I re powered last year. Looking to add a 2nd battery. I will be purchasing the lead/harness to enable the dual charging from my outboard. My question is would I still need a battery switch. This boat will never go more then 3 miles out. I always used the Perko 1/2/both switches on my previous boats. If i did use a switch would something like the Blues Seas double pole 5511e work for my application or should I not bother. I actually have the add a battery kit from Blues seas that includes that switch with a ACR. I put it up for sale when I ordered my charging lead from my dealer because I wasn't going to use it. I'm thinking this is what I need minus the ACR so I may keep it. If you all know of any wiring diagrams, that would also be useful. Thanks much for you input and guidance.

I use a Blue Seas 5511e on my boat. One start battery and one house battery, or both to start the motor if ever needed. I like it better than the Perko you describe that originally came on the boat.
    Last edited by Harper; 05-21-2018, 01:07 AM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I'm adding to my reply, because as I read it, I find that I didn't really answer your question. So..... yes, you do need a battery switch. The reason that I would opt for the Blue Seas over the Perko is that with the Perko switch you describe, you can only use one battery at a time for ALL the boat (i.e. starter, instruments. lights, etc). And though you can still use them both for starting if needed, you are still running both your motor and house devices off the same battery at any given time.

With the Blue Seas 5511e, you separate the batteries, using one solely as the start battery, and the other solely as the house battery. If needed for starting, both are still available, as with the Perko, wired in parallel through the switch when in the "combine batteries" position.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I have a 2019 DF200 with Suzuki auxiliary charging system to cover charging the starting and house batteries, but I haven't moved the fuse to enable charging the house battery yet.. I didn't realize at the time that I ordered the aux charging lead that Suzuki recommends against using a "maintenance free" battery, such as AGM , for starting service. I have a flooded cell starting battery that was furnished by the dealer, and I've added a dual purpose AGM house battery. I've seen a lot of comments, negative and positive (but dated), about charging AGM batteries from outboard motor charging systems. Does anyone know if the Suzuki system can handle charging 2 different types of batteries (flooded and AGM ) through their built-in charging system?

Comment

I'm not sure about that, since both of my batteries have always been matched. Right now I have 2 Odyssey 34M PC1500 AGMs. I have the Suzuki Aux charge system, and also an onboard Pro Marine ProSport20 to fully charge both batteries and keep them maintained while sitting at home.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

No way to edit the above post, so I'm going to add this..... I don't think any of our outboards will charge any battery, be it flooded or AGM, to more than 85-90%. That's just been my observation, but I also read that elsewhere. While I'm not positive of the validity of that statement, I can tell you that I've had to use the onboard charger to top off flooded batteries, else risk starting issues due to less-than-fully-charged batteries. And I have done the same with my AGMs, just in case. But I've never had a problem with either type since I started using the on-board charger.
            Last edited by Harper; 12-15-2019, 04:35 PM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X