new df20a rev limit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new df20a rev limit question

Just got my df20a. After a few hour breakin I was able to hold it wide open. After a couple secs like maybe 30 or so it cut out for just a sec red light lit. Then went back to running wide open. Couple seconds later same thing. If I let off maybe to 90% it doesn't do it. I assume this is a rev limiter? And I need to change my prop?

Yes, sounds exactly like what happens when an over-rev occurs.

Are you abke to check rpm? Maybe get one of those "tiny tach's" they dont cost much and once you know your revs you can select a prop to suit.

It depends on how you load your boat as to whether you should change the prop. On these smaller boats with lower hp motors, adding an extra person or some equipment can change the engine load quite markedly. So it can be quite hard to get a prop that will suit all conditions.

When you did the test you described, was the boat loaded light, or normal load? If it was lightly loaded, maybe test again with a more normal load of people and gear, and see what happens. You might decide to stick with the current prop if that test goes well, and just be a bit more judicious with the throttle when lightly loaded!

Comment

Boat had me 350lb and my dad 250lbs two batteries and a full tank of gas. Only thing I would add is rods and tackle. So yeah its about what I intend to fish with. No tach but I fou d props for 70$ Not a big deal. It has a 9. You think a 10 would work?

Comment

Hard to say for certain, but probably! If you think the engine is only just exceeding the rev limit then a 1" pitch change could be enough. 1" pitch change is roughly 200rpm, roughly!

You could go more but the risk then, is that you adversely affect acceleration out of the hole.

Comment

Thank you. I will report back in a few weeks

Comment

Working...
          X