DF140ATL Inlet Air Temperature sensor plug and alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140ATL Inlet Air Temperature sensor plug and alarm

A year or so ago I was away from home fishing a new lake when I got a check engine alarm and a 2-3 blinking code which turned out to be the inlet air temperature alarm. Ambient temperature was below 60 degrees. It didn't prevent the engine from being run at high rpm so we finished out our weekend with it blinking but running the engine as little as possible. I took it to a local Suzuki dealer and he found one wire pulled out of the plug to the IAR sensor. He soldered the wire back into the plug and said it would be fine. Recently I got the same alarm and found the wire to the plug that hadn't been soldered had broken off the plug. I checked with all my local dealers and none could work on the boat for at least a week. I needed to be on the water in a couple of days and since I have electronics background, I decided to try to fix the plug again. The wiring to the plug is probably a 16 gauge or smaller and absolutely not long enough to give any slack at all. I got the pins out of the plug and soldered a short(but long enough to give some slack) jumper wire from the plug to the original wires. I put it all back together and it was fine for a trip or 2. Now when I crank the engine, I get the 2-3 code. Once I get the engine up to plane rpms, the light clears on the tach. It stays clear until I drop my rpms back to idle speed then the alarm comes on with the 2-3 code.

Am I looking at a wiring issue or a bad sensor? Thanks.
Working...
X