04 DF140 shifting isuues??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 DF140 shifting isuues??

New to this forum - hi! Wondering if anyone can help me? I have an 04 DF140 that has started having shifting problems. It only happens when it's warmed up and not all the time after being warm. I would guess 75% of the time. I've noticed that the idle RPM goes up to around 1100 when its having the issue. It becomes really hard to get in to neutral and kind of clunks in to forward and reverse. While in this elevated RPM state, if I put it in forward and run it just at idle, it'll die after a few minutes. When it's behaving normally, it'll idle around 6-700 RPM while in gear and not die and shifts the way it's suppose to. It runs great all the time at higher RPM's.The first time it did this I was trying to load the boat on a trailer. Scary. I went home searched on line for potential issues, I examined the shifting linkage, no build up, lots of grease (I added more). I took the cables off, moved the controls forward - backwards - neutral etc. they were smooth. I changed the lower unit fluid (no shavings) took the boat out and it ran and shifted great. Did for probably 8 more hours of use then, same problem. Tried changing the lower unit fluid again to see if there was some kind of connection, no change, still having problems. Another forum recommended cleaning the IAC valve, I did that with no change. I ran some sea foam through it too. I've always used marine stabil in every fill-up. I change oils in the engine and lower unit every year before the fall fishing season. I put maybe 100 hours on it during a season. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the engine holder for the well documented corrosion problems? If no issue there, the IAC may still be the problem. Have you had the engine connectd on the Suzuki diagnostic system to chefk for fault codes etc?

Comment

when you had the cables off did you shift the gear case in and out of gear? shift bushing under the power head gets salted up.

Comment

Yeah, I did check. Smooth shifting. I was aware of the "making salt" issue. The bushing was heavily greased already but I added more for good measure. I'll look at the engine holder plug too. I'm thinking about replacing the IAC because the issue seams to best fit that. Just trying to check all possibilities before spending $300 on a new IAC. Process of elimination starting with the cheapest solution. I haven't had it on a Suzuki diagnostic because there isn't a dealer or service shop in my area.

Comment

this is sounding like a linkage problem
          something must be hanging up and not allowing throttle adjustment to come back to a neutral adjustment
          and yes.. shifting into gear at higher than idle rpm - is not good
          on your remote shifter there is a lever to raise rpm while in netural
          check that to make sure it is not out of adjustment elevating the rpm
          check all the linkages where the throttle / shifter cables terminate in the engine compartment that when the shifter is in neutral.. so these linkages are also in neutral and the cable to the throttle body is not binding and moving freely
          hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X