X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMIS 4" gauge problem

Hi everyone
    I just installed two 4" smis gauge & one 2" smis gauge

When turn on the switch , one of the 4" smis gauge doesn't work !!

The back light is lighting but nothing is displayed on the screen

the actual voltage is 12.3 volts

Any idea of the problem ?

What can I do ?

I am guessing here....

Maybe a bad network T piece? Can you swap it to a different T to see what happens?

Comment

I had a 4" gauge that did the same thing. I paid $20 for it, and used it for parts, then gave it away to mmanuel on this forum, who I believe has a pretty good understanding of the gauge internals. If you don't see the "Big S" when it powers up, I don't believe the gauge is booting. The backlight is a separate function than the raster display; the backlight is a couple of LEDs on the edge of the display.

When I was first working with NMEA stuff, I powered up the 4" gauge without anything else on the network, and it still displayed the Big S as it booted.

in case you're interested, I took apart my $20 gauge and posted some photos of the gauge internals elsewhere on this forum. I agree with Moonlighter that you should take a shot at a different T connector if that's available, and when that doesn't work I would return the gauge if you can.

Comment

I did different swap with other T and it was same , then after many many try , suddenly it start and since iit still working fine , the display of the data is OK .... well almost fine !!

I went on sea today to do some tests

Now I have some error messages !!!!!!!!!!! F--k !!!

Messages are :

- "Check remote Key "
        then i do exit then

-"Keyless Unit Battery Low"
        then i do exit then

-"Check engine 9 - 4"
        then i do exit then

-"Check engine 9 - 5"

Then after this last message if I do exit , no more message appear and it seem that everything work fine

Any idea of this kind of messages

"Keyless Unit Battery Low" -----> Whitch battery it talking about ??? (is there any internal battery ?,!! ) The main boat battery has 13 volts ...

Other problem the display is showing the Trim for 2 engines ( I have only one !!) on the setting I put 1 engine , but it still showing me the trim position for 2 engines !!
        Last edited by tomille3; 03-25-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I have heard of those error messages when the gauge is running a software version that is incompatible with the engine.

Check the software version on both gauges to see if they are the same.

Comment

OK I will check tomorrow morning

If not ?? Is it possible to update a 4" gauge ?

Comment

Yes, same process as updating the interface cable. Use a Lowrance or Navico head unit, with the file on a sd card.

Let us know what you find, we can go feom there.

Comment

you are right

one of the 4" SMIS gauge is 2.5.0 version
                and the other one is 2.6.0 version. This one is the motor gauge ( I mean is the gauge which has been provided with the motor , the difference is that on the display we see "Eng Check"

Now I have the 2.5.0 version program on an SD card , but I do I do to update the 4" gauge from 2.6.0 to 2.5.0 version
                any procedure ?
                Last edited by tomille3; 03-26-2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Moonlighter

I think my problem is solved
                  The problem was the soft version...

Georges ( Brownspoint) sent me the 2.5.3 version , I did the updating and it seem's to be OK
                  Both 4" gauges have now the 2.5.3 version

Thank's

Cheers

Comment

well done, it should be OK now!

Comment

One more last thing ..

Now the gauges are working fine.

But when a switch on , one of those gauge needs a long time to really started.

I mean the gauge is blinking between the S (of Suzuki) and the normal display, and this during a long long minutes ( about 10/20 minutes..)

Is it normal ?? (the other 4" gauge start normally and display after less than 1 minute )

Comment

No, that isnt normal. It should start up quickly.

Apart from replacing it, the only thing i can think of is to do a "reset" procedure, it might just be the software not booting up properly and a reset might sort it out.

This is the procedure to reset:

LMF-400 Reset Procedure

Hard Reset (Deletes stored data so you will have to set it up again from scratch.)

1. Turn Unit Off.

2. Press and hold the DOWN button.

3. Turn unit on (activate power to NMEA network or connect unit to operating network).

4. Release DOWN button after test screen appears.

5. Turn unit off (disconnect power to NMEA 2000 network or remove unit from network).
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-28-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

OK
                          thanks
                          As soon I get back home (within 1 month) I'll try and let you know

Comment

Working...
                          X