DF 115 Rev Limiter alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 115 Rev Limiter alarm

I have twin DF 115s, purchased them new and 2015 and they were built in 2014. These engines have been flawless and I love them except for the problem I will describe now. On my starboard motor, when I am putting along under 1000 rpms sometimes I get a beep on my tach for that engine and the REV alarm light goes on. When I put that engine in neutral the light goes off and if I advance the throttle over 1000 rpms, the light does not go on and everything is fine. If I continue to run that engine with the REV light on (I don't go back to neutral), I get three beeps and the engine is "rev limited". I have taken the boat in for service at a Suzuki dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem although I think they didn't put around in low rpms in gear as I told them would be necessary, I think they thought it would occur in neutral and it never occurs in neutral. They looked for codes and found none. How can I address this issue. I have the extended warranty and I would assume diagnosis and repair of this would be covered. The service guy said that may be the case but they have to reproduce the problem (it only happens in gear when the engines are warm) and it may be a problem with the dealers installation. Thanks in advance for your help

Take a video of it on your phone when it is happening then you have evidence to show them.

A possibility is it might be something to do with the neutral throttle switch on the engine - they dont throw codes if they malfunction simply because they are only on or off and both signals are valid. Plus when you put it out of gear the switch moves so the signal changes - anyway it sounds plausible. The switch is on the linkages on the starboard side of the engine, might be worth a look at if and compare to the other engine, it could have slipped or be partly unplugged broken or something like that.

Comment

Has anyone figured out this problem because my brand new 2019 DF200ATX motor started doing the same thing.

Comment

Just got off the phone with a marine mechanic and he states that this may be due to a low voltage issue and recommended I put an isolator on the battery. Basically is it a "soft" alarm for low voltage and tends to occur if you run a lot of electronics that drain the battery. I'm gonna try this to see if it solves the issue but it does make sense as the alarm only starts going off episodically later in my weekend fishing trips.

Comment

I am having the exact same issue described above on a new DF175 that has 20 hours on it. When I brought in for 20 hour service I let them know but the dealer tech had no idea. He suggested I had water in fuel filter but he later said I didn’t after checking. He asked me to video the alarm next time it happens.

Comment

I doubt what was said above about the low voltage. My cranking battery is new and I have all electronics running on other dedicated batteries. Also for me the alarm only sounds after I’ve been running for quite some time so I’d think that cranking battery is well charged at that point.

Comment

Battery.might well be ok, but all it takes is a bad connection eg main battery leads, master switch itself, of the white battery sub-wire being loose or corroded and these sorts of false codes can and will happen.

So, undo, clean, inspect, reattach and tighten all connections. Make sure the master battery switch is not damaged or internals corroded.

Comment

Have you figured this issue out? I am still having the same problem.

Comment

Working...
                X