DF 140 2005 rpm issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 140 2005 rpm issues

Hey everyone, I just repowered to a 2005 DF 140 suzuki outboard and on my second trip out fishing and initially in the start of the day would operate normally with no known issues from idle up to WOT. But I notice later in the day after trolling for about 4-6 hours or so on the way in I usually would open her up (WOT) and I found that I could only hit 16mph @ 3200rpm and it starts to go in limp mode or being limited which I cant go any higher and during all this time I did not have any warning light indication or buzzers. So I back down the throttle and try again and still wont go past 3200rpm. Oil levels are good, water peeing good, intake air good no blockage, everything new from the gas tank to the motor (fuel System), new battery wires, new battery, replaced water poppet valve. So I hooked up the SDS troubleshooting software and found gradient heat and low battery (Note: I think it was like this before I got the motor) and now that I have the outboard mounted on my boat I cant figure out the issues. So I decided to replace the cylinder temp sensor and the exhaust temp sensor since I was getting a gradient overheat error code per SDS software.
    So fast forward 3 weeks now after replacing the temp sensors I went back out fishing and initialy started out good no issues, after about trolling for 3 hours our lines got tangled so I throttle down just to about 1500 rpm to fix our lines and as soon I throttle back up I could only hit 2000 rpm and it felt like limp mode or being limited max to that speed. I checked everything fuel system and found no issues, so I just trolled at 1800 rpm which the motor is not acting funny at this rpm. During this issue it lasted for just about 20 min where im trying to gas it and then have to throttle back down. After being frustrated and 20 miles out from shore I was about to turn off the motor and try to restart but something told me to just leave it in nuetural and after being in neutral for about 5 min I decided to throttle up to just to see if this helped and sure enough I got back on trolling speed with no hesitation. After a few minutes of trolling I decide to test the luck and see if it corrected itself which I found not and only could max out at 3200rpm. I stayed at this speed all the way till we got close to the harbor and I tried to throttle back up again and still the same issue. Im out of ideas and don’t want to start replacing parts that Im not sure its bad. Does anyone have this problem before or know my situation and could help me out. I really wanna get back in the water since the yellowfin tunas are in action right now. Appreciate the help guys thank you.

Possibly the neutral throttle switch on the engine gear linkages? Its a micro switch. They are sometimes known to fail.

May be loose or broken, if this is the problem the ecu will not get the signal that the engine is in gear, and will then limit revs to about 3000rpm, which sounds consistent with your symptoms. Moving the engine in and out of gear may get it to sit correctly and work at times. This problem would not usually throw error codes.

It is an inexpensive part to replace if that is the problem.

Comment

moonlighter, thank you for the fast reply. I will definatly order a switch today and cross fingers this will solve my issue. ill update back after I install the new switch.
      thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X