Outboard theft protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard theft protection

I know that a determined thief will steal an outboard but I figure I'll try to not be the easiest target on my block.

There are the much maligned locks that keep the transom clamp handles from spinning but I must be missing something. As far as I can see these locks don't cover the threaded posts that engage the transom. That looks like a pretty easy place to hacksaw the motor right off the boat.

Yes?

What's a good alternative? Transom lock maybe.

I have a DF 20A

Bigger hp

Put a 150 on there and they won't take it. Jk

Comment

Ha! If I put a 150 on the Coast Guard would take it though that might mean hauling it up from the creek bed!

Max hp rating is 25 on my little Lund WC16.

Comment

I assume that you are concerned about the exposed threaded portion of the clamp screws between the front of the clamp and the transom, where the clamp is wider than necessary for your boat, but there to accomodate varying thicknesses of transoms. If that's the portion that you find vulnerable, how about finding an aluminum block of appropriate thickness to fill the void and drill two holes for the clamp screws to fit through? Even a block of wood (instead of aluminum), similarly drilled, would likely hinder any attempt wth a hacksaw.
        Last edited by Harper; 04-13-2016, 10:57 AM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mike,

That's my issue with these locks exactly. I had thought about your idea but unless you were to remove the clamp pads you would have a pretty big tube of metal. Still all in all a workable solution.

What I ended up doing and have just installed is the Stazo lock. It covers the threads on three sides with a SS box. It fits the DF20A but just barely. I'm going to make a slight modification and it should be fine.

Richard

lock01_1.jpg

Comment

Well, there ya go.... looks good to me!
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Ive seen a few of these used:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...tAbsolutePage=

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter.

I looked at those and some seem well made but they don't protect the clamp screws from the transom to the bracket. It would be awkward but I can see someone hack sawing the clamp screws without too much trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X