No fuel Suzuki 225 df

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fuel Suzuki 225 df

While running steady at 4000 rpm for about a half hour, my engine started to cut out and then died. It would then turn over but continued to die. I pumped up the fuel bulb hard, but no luck. After getting back to the dock with kicker,
    I checked filter and under cowling strainer. Both good. Pumped bulb til hard. no luck. Disconnected outlet line of strainer and got sprayed with gas.
    Could the check valve be stuck? Or is this a sign of failed fuel pump? Or something downstream? Thanks for your help.

after the inline filter fuel goes to the low pressure fuel pump
    would check that for any obstruction.. in other words is fuel being pumped out the other side..
    then did you check the fuel filter in the high pressure fuel pump?
    would probably drain that system and check that filter
    art..

Comment

Thanks for that. I just traced it to the outlet of the inline filter. I'll trace it farther like you mentioned. Do both fuel pumps run when you turn the key or does the engine have to be running?
      Also if I open the line coming out of the EFI filter, would that show if I had fuel through the two filters and pump?

Comment

The low pressure pump on the rear side of the engine is cam driven the high pressure is electric
        The latter question - I don't think you want to do that
        Remember it is under pressure
        You can take a shot piece of hose and put it on the out side that vow to the high pressure pump and turn the engine over with the starter
        You should get some fuel to pump out as the engine turns over
        Did you take the small in line filter out and check for debris?
        You didn't say what year your engine is
        Older fuel line are know to breakdown internally and create fuel problems

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
          The low pressure pump on the rear side of the engine is cam driven the high pressure is electric
          Art, the low pressure fuel pump on the DF225 is ELECTRIC, not mechanical, and I think it's on the front of the engine.

placerville, I don't know whether the engine has to be running for the low pressure pump to operate, but my guess is yes, for several reasons. The high pressure pump runs to pressurize the fuel rail as soon as you turn the key on. Then it shuts off, being controlled by a pressure switch, and waits for the engine to be running prior to resuming operation. My guess is that both pumps are energized by the ECM when the engine is running.
          Last edited by Harper; 04-13-2016, 11:28 AM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for all that. It's a 2004 Johnson/suzuki.
            By pumping the bulb, I have fuel through both fuel filters.
            When it first happened, I started pumping the bulb.
            when I got no response, I switched tanks. There's a possibility I pumped a bunch of air into the system. Maybe I vapor locked it.
            I'll try your suggestions when I get back to the boat.

Comment

Mike.. thanks for the correction .. my mistake thinking most all engine were the same..

Placerville
              you mention in your first post that when you took the line off the "strainer" (I assume the inline fuel filter) that is sprayed fuel out..
              so you had fuel to that point..
              to me you start with the low pressure pump to be sure it is working. then go the high pressure pump..
              this should have a filter.. and there is a fuel float to regulate fuel level.
              two things come to mind.. the float valve is stuck closed or the jet has become clogged .. or maybe both..

when you turn the key on .. you should hear the pump trying to charge and pressurize the system.. that might give you a clue if it is working or not..
              good luck and let us know what you find
              art..

Comment

So returned to my boat after sitting a week. attempted to start it and it coughed and died 3 times before sputtering to life. Ran the cold start lever up and let it rev for a few minutes. The motor then proceeded to run perfect.
                This is what I think happened. When the motor first sputtered while running at full speed, I started pumping the fuel bulb not believing my tank was dry. I think I pumped so much air into the lines that when I final led switched to another tank, the system was air bound. And even with the bulb pumped hard,
                no fuel actually made it through the pumps.
                Thanks for the help. I feel I have a much better understanding of the fuel system.

Comment

Working...
                X