Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 DF140 error code 2-4 now won't crank

Hi All -

appreciate the fast responses on this forum and all the help that it provides. I'm having a problem with my 2005 df140. I was getting a 2-4 error code and motor entered fail safe. No change in connections and now motor will not start. Will not crank and fuel pump does not turn on with ignition. Buzzer sounds, but no juice. The battery has power, and I have voltage to the starter. I have replaced 60 amp fuse, 30 amp fuse, fuse off ignition wire. Any ideas? Appreciate the help.

the 2-4 code, if you review the sticky on error codes is a cam shaft sensor
    one of the pdf sheets says it triggers the limiter the other no - so that would be specific to your engine whether it does or not
    but will not stop you from starting
    if you push on the ignition switch in once it should cancel the error code until it gets triggered again
    would suggest checking the wiring to the sensor(s)
    the other sounds like the ‘white wire’ problem
    read that sticky
    the white wire should be wired through the ignition switch but sometime they do a shortcut through the starter motor, which is not the preferred method due to voltage fluctuations to the ECM which can be very sensitive.
    there are other things that can cause no power to the ECM and in turn the high pressure fuel pump
    the white wire has an online fuse that should be checked
    check the lanyard switch at the remote if there is no clip to hold it open and is missing - nothing will happen as the circuit is not closed
    there are two neutral position switches
    one at the remote and one at the engine where the shift lever is located
    but suggest checking the white wire at the ignition switch first to make sure you have power at that location
    Art
    and get yourself a service manual

Comment

Art -

Thanks very much for the response.

I have the service manual

I should have elaborated...

- After receiving the 2-4 error code, I replaced the cam shaft sensor. This was prior to the motor not starting at all, which makes me think the problem was not the sensor at all, however, the rev-limiter was activated when motor was running

- I did not push the ignition switch and I didn't know that cleared the error code.

- Checked wire to sensor, looks fine, not damaged

- Regarding the white wire, I did change that fuse. My white wire is right off the battery.
      - lanyard switch is connected, has not changed and has not been damaged
      - I do have 12v voltage to the starter
      - Need to check the neutral position switches but I am unaware how to do that or how to bypass?

As of right now, the I hear the buzzer when I turn the key, the check engine light is flashing 2-4, hear a single click, starter bendix does not engage, do not hear high pressure fuel pump.

Again thanks for the response.

Comment

white wire off battery is correct but check the voltage at the remote
        I experienced my first problem with the WW in the connection off the battery switch pigtail where the connector had corroded inside the connector and didn’t find it until it pulled apart
        12V at the starter is correct because main battery cable connects there
        which brings something else to mind - the starter relay solinoid in the fuse box those relays are interchangeable so you can switch them to see if that makes a difference

get a magnifying glass go to the wiring diagram page and check the color of the wire on the going out side from the ON and start position
        it is possible that the key switch is going bad
        re-reading your notes
        sounds like you getting power to the ECM with the buzzer and the error code
        check the circuit backwards from the high pressure fuel pump
        there is a connection missing it should turn on for 4 or 5 seconds to pressurize the fuel rail when the ignition switch is first turned to ON
        and the same procedure with the starter relay
        and don’t forget to check grounding side of the circuit a number of problems seem to crop up with ground wire connections
        good luck
        Art

Comment

Appreciate your help very much Art. I will check all this tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X