Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible purchase of a 2005 140 suzuki???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible purchase of a 2005 140 suzuki???

I am looking into purchasing a 2005 140hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Does anyone know if they had fixed the corrosion problem by then? Did they ever fix the corrosion problem? This motor has 1100 hours on it and it has been serviced every 100hrs since new.I am purchasing it from the original owner that bought it new. Anyone see any problem with that many hours? I know very little about Suzuki motors. I have always had 2 strokes. Also Iam going to put this on my 21ft skiff. Anyone see any problems with doing this? The transom has a reinforcing bracket on it and it will be bolted to my jack plate.

The engine holder plug corrosion issue was fixed with a new design engine holder in 2008. So you would still be in the "concern" window.

Now, not all engines actually had any problems with this corrosion. So a careful inspection would be required. It is possible the plug has already been replaced, or there simply might be no evidence of corrosion on the engine that you are considering.

Also check for corrosion around the oil cooler.

1100 hours is not a big concern. Plenty of people getting 3/5000hours from them if well cared for.

But the reality is you are considering buying an 11 year old outboard motor. It will depend greatly on how well it has been looked after and how its been treated.

Very important to ascertain if it has been propped correctly in its current life, if you can test it on the current boat it must be able to hit close to 6000rpm at full throttle. If it will only hit 5000 or indeed anything under about 5500, walk away.

Comment

If the compression is good, and it runs good, why would the engine running under 5500rpm's matter? If it was propped wrong and wont run over 5500 does that damage the engine? I am used to dealing with 2 strokes. I think it is on a pontoon boat rite now.

Comment

These 4 strokes need to rev to near their max rpm in order to perform well. In the case of the 140's you want to be hitting 6000rpm at full throttle trimmed out, or very close to that.

It doesnt matter what kind of boat you put it on, you MUST prop it to achieve those kinds of revs at WOT.

This would be the #1 priority test that i would do on any used outboard that i was considering purchasing.

But even more importantly, overpropping them results in the engine being excessively loaded, excess wear on bearings, excess fuel getting past rings, etc. the engine is labouring when it should be spinning freely. Bad. Very bad.

It is like driving you car and always being stuck in top gear. Its bad for the engine, full stop.

The result is greatly reduced engine life.

Comment

I put 2200 hours on 2 2001 DF 115,s on a catamaran , which from what I understand the 115 and the 140 are basically the same engine. They had 200 lbs of compression on all cylinders and were running excellent when I sold them .The main reason for selling them is that they were 14 years old and I sometimes run 35 to 40 miles offshore. If I was using a boat inland the age of the motor would not be a big concern. My major concern would be the corrosion issue, if the compression and appearance of motor is good.

Comment

Working...
          X