prop recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop recommendation

I have a 2004 225 hp on a 22' Boston Whaler Outrage cuddy. Dry weight 2300 lbs.
    3500 lbs loaded. ,I operate in northern Cal open ocean.
    I plan getting just an aluminum prop. Can I get a ballpark diameter and pitch.
    Thanks

I have tried dozens of props on my 2003 225 2 stroke on my 23 sea ox . It is significantly heavier than yours. Firstly, any stainless seriously outperforms the best aluminum. They are mostly worthless as far as performance is concerned and do not actually protect your shaft any better than stainless. I'm assuming your 04 is a four stroke...if so iit's geared differently than my 2 stroker..do you know the gear ratio. I mostly run 4 bladed stainless 14 1/4 to 14 1/2 dis at 17 to 18 pitches the similar run stock prop was the Suzuki 20 pitch 3 blade sis. Because your boat is lighter and your geared different you will need a larger pitch and possibly bigger dia need more data on your motor. What are you running now

Comment

I recently purchased the boat so don't know the gear ratio and can't find the pitch and diameter numbers on the prop

Comment

First, the Suzuki DT 2 stroke props dont fit the DF 4 strokes in this hp - different splines. Secondly, the 4 strokes have a dual reduction gearbox and therefore typically run larger diameter and pitch props than comparable hp 2 strokes, so throw the old 2 stroke rule book out the window!

If you take the current prop off and look at the back the size is often stamped around the hub somewhere, might need to clean it up to see.

So from that starting point, the standard diameter 3 blade props for DF225-250's is 16".

The pitch to suit will depend on your boat. Starting point would probably be 20" or 22" and then work from there to select a prop that gives you close to 6000rpm at WOT. These engines NEED to be able to rev, they love it and perform best when propped to achieve max rpm at WOT, even if you rarely actually use WOT.

I agree with the previous comments about alloy props - seriously, you have got a really nice hull there, do yourself a favour and get a decent stainless prop. OEM Suzuki stainless props seem to be a pretty good choice and work well, generally speaking, with most Suzuki boat/motor combo's. The difference in performance from the stainless props is night and day.

You might need to go and do a bit of research. Find out what the max hp rated for your hull is. If your 225 is at the top end of the rated hp, then perhaps the 3 x 16 x 23 pitch would be a starting point. Conversely if the motor is lower to mid range of the boats rated hp, maybe start at 18.5".

Alternative 2: Is there a Whaler dealer in your region? If so give them a call and ask if they have a recommendation for you.

Alternative 3: contact someone like Ken at the Propgods.com who have vast experience with all boat/motor combos and get a recommendation. But expect to be asked some of the same questions you have already been asked here so they can better tailor their advice to you, such as:

Current prop dia and pitch and material, condition
        and preferably name of manufacturer
        Current max revs able to be achieved at WOT (full throttle)
        Generally how it performs
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-20-2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X