Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Multi Function Gauge and NMEA 2000 tank senders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Multi Function Gauge and NMEA 2000 tank senders?

Hi all,

I am the happy owner of an aluminium power cat with 2x Suzuki DF-175 2015 outboards, each connected to 2 petrol/gasoline fuel tanks fitted with Maretron NMEA 2000 tank senders (i.e. 4 tanks in total). I also have two Lowrance HDS Gen3 9" chart plotters.

I have the old SMIS gauges which I really don't like, so I am (was) planning to upgrade to the new square ones (34200-96L00).

However, Suzuki in the UK have informed me that the new Suzuki gauges don't support NMEA 2000 tank senders; they only support the old fashioned analog ones.

Can that really be true? Seems very oldfashioned to me.

If so, what is the solution? I don't want to replace my Maretron's with analog, since the Maretron's work great with Lowrance.

Would I need to add analog senders to the tanks as well (I guess it should be possible to have two senders on each tank) or can I somehow convert NMEA 2000 digital to an analog format the new Suzuki gauges can understand? Or can I somehow connect the Suzuki gauges to my NMEA 2000 network and they get the tank levels through the network?

I still want to be able to monitor the tanks via the Lowrance HDS' as well.

Thanks for any help & guidance.

Lars (UK)

Do the new gauges come with a manual?

If the manual says that they can show data from a fluid level sensor, such as the superceded EP65, then it will work. If not then ....... Problems. I agree that it seems very odd that they would not show fluid levels from a N2K sensor.

P.S i have messaged my local Suzuki expert to ask the question. Will post response.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-21-2016, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Ok my Zuke guy says that the wires from the standard tank sender unit will connect direct to the new colour gauge, and it will then show tank levels.

Im hoping to get some more details, but how about having a look on the back of the gauge and see if you can work out where the connection might be made, and let us know what you find. Maybe the manual might have some wiring details?
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-21-2016, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Hi again,

I have actually not purchased the new Suzuki gauges yet but am planning to do so. I will let you know what I find out.
        If you hear anything with regard to compatibility with N2K fuel tank senders that would be awesome.

Lars

Comment

Lars, he says that they connect the analogue tank sender wires direct to the colour display.

He also says that the display comes with a very good manual, and he also says that the gauges are extremely easy to set up, takes him about 1 minute to do and provided you follow the instructions it will all be fine, including fuel data from the ECU.

Comment

Hello again - it's been months, but I finally got around to purchase a dual engine kit of the New Multi Function Gauges.
            As suspected, they only support analog tank senders. Which is now OK since I have bought another fuel monitoring display which supports N2K.

Anyhow, the problem I now have is that the kit only comes with an Operations Manual. Not an Installation Guide. And I can't seem to find an Installation Guide anywhere.

Do some of you have a link to where I can obtain an Installation Guide? And yes, I have asked my local Suzuki dealer, but he's not terribly responsive...

Comment

Originally posted by KillerWhale2 View Post
              Hello again - it's been months, but I finally got around to purchase a dual engine kit of the New Multi Function Gauges.
              As suspected, they only support analog tank senders. Which is now OK since I have bought another fuel monitoring display which supports N2K.

Anyhow, the problem I now have is that the kit only comes with an Operations Manual. Not an Installation Guide. And I can't seem to find an Installation Guide anywhere.

Do some of you have a link to where I can obtain an Installation Guide? And yes, I have asked my local Suzuki dealer, but he's not terribly responsive...
              Found this diagram; I'm not sure if it's what you need
              Attached Files
              Henry

Comment

Have emailed you a copy of the install manual.

Cheers

Comment

However, Suzuki in the UK have informed me
                  Killerwhale lives in the UK and Europe has a different MF gauge (like in Australia) than in the US.
                  I just got my MG gauges but US version so i don't really can help with this issue.

If the MF Gauge accept just analog gauge input, the eliminate the NMEA sender and pull the analog wires to the MFD gauge.
                  You may try to splice the analog wires before the nmea fuel senders to be able to see the fuel level on your Lowrance (not sure if that works).

I guess your Maretron NMEA 2000 tank senders are analog to NMEA2000 converters using a normal analog float sensor.
                  If they should be a float device with direct NMEA2000 output then you won't be able to splice a analof fuel sender signal cable in and need to take the decision of:
                  a) keep the Maretron senders and loose fuel level on the Suzukiki MF gauge
                  b) change to analggo fuel sender and use the Lowrance fuel sender interface to get a NMEA2000 signal

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris & all,

I have decided to:

a) Keep the Maretron N2K senders and not using the Suzuki gauge fuel capabilities
                    b) Maybe at some point fit analog senders to the tanks as well. That way I can use both N2K via my N2K instrumentation and use the Suzuki gauge fuel capabilities

However, a couple of follow on questions have now come up from my installer:

1) If I am not using the Suzuki gauges for fuel measurement, do I need to plug them into the Suzuki harness at all? Won't I be able to get all the necessary data via the N2K network? (it looks like the old and the new gauges have different harness connectors, so it's not plug & play)

2) Dumb question perhaps...: but how will the gauges know which engine is the port and which is the starboard engine? My installer thinks I need to unplug one engine, then it will be clear to the gauges which engine is which, then set up the first engine. And afterwards unplug the engine that has been set up with the gauges, plug the other one in, set it up, etc. Doesn't seem right to me... I guess I via the N2K network should be able to identify and name engines based in their serial numbers / N2K address and it should be clear to the gauges which engine is which...

Sorry for all the questions - getting there, slowly but surely!

Lars

Comment

1. Once the system is set up correctly, you will get very very accurate fuel used data from the network. Unless you have a situation where fuel could be stolen from the boat this will be your primary source of fuel data, the tank senders giving you fuel level will simply be a secondary "safety net" to give you assurance of fuel levels.

2. The installation instructions that I sent you tell you how to do the initial configuration for twin engines, (once the physical wiring up is done and connected for both engines) which includes designating the port and starboard engines etc. So follow those instructions and the system will know which engine is which.

Comment

OK great, thanks.

So what you are saying is that, the fuel sender question aside (since I won't need that on the Suzuki gauges), the gauges need to be connected to both the N2K _and_ the engine harnesses to function correctly?

Regards,
                        Lars

Comment

Yes, just follow the installation instructions.

With the new Suzuki colour displays (used everywhere except USA now) the displays perform the function that the Suzuki engine interface cables used to perform.

So each engine's data goes:

From Engine harness > colour gauge > network.

So each engine connects to its own gauge. And When they are all hooked up to the network, then you configure them as per the installation instructions guide.

That's about as much as I can offer as I haven't personally done a config/setup on those gauges. But from reading the install manual and talking yo my local Suzuki dealer who has done lots of them, it seems pretty straightforward and he confirmed its dead easy.

Your local Suzuki dealer would have had the opportunity to attend a technical class where they learn about these new gauges and should be able to help out if necessary. It's part of being a dealer.

Comment

Thanks, Grant - I will report back once it's all working!

Happy Holidays everyone.

Lars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                              Have emailed you a copy of the install manual.

Cheers
                              Would appreciate a copy of the installation manual as well. My dealer never completed the setup of the fuel tanks. Or maybe you could post a link with the other owners' manuals.
                              UPDATE: never mind. I found the link to the manual in another post. Thanks anyway.

I did discover why the dealer never completed the initial setup. The tanks can only be setup when completely empty. Then you have to fill them in 1/4 increments in order to calibrate. Not a problem with small tanks I suppose but I have two 100 gallon tanks and that would be a lot of fuel to have to transfer at 25 gallons at a time. And once filled I don't know if you would ever get them completely emptied again. So I doubt the fuel feature will ever be setup on my boat.
                              Last edited by Remington; 12-04-2019, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X