Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DT225 battery cable size?

Hi all,

New member here, I have a 1998 Suzuki DT 225 that I bought used and I'm trying to install on my boat. I got all the wiring, cables and gauges with it and what looks to be the battery cables just don't seem right.

There is a black plastic plug on one end with two female connectors built into it, coming from that there are two black wires connected to each other that look to be around 6 to 8 gauge and about 6 feet long. attached to each wire with butt connectors is another 8 feet or so of 6 to 8 gauge wire.

I don't mind making up my own battery wires and just wanted to know what gauge wire the motor came stock with.

My other question is, would it be any better to go with a thicker gauge wire than stock, or would that just make it more difficult to get it through the rubber grommet going into the engine cover.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Joe Callahan

Any one out there have a guess on stock battery cable gauge size for a 98 DT225??

The positive wire from the starter relay to the starter looks to be 6 or 8 gauge wire, I don't have the stock battery cables and would like to build new ones that are either the same size as stock or one size larger.

First time outboard guy trying to get into the water this weekend.

Thanks
    Joe C

Comment

For what it's worth, I made up a set with #4 awg wire and got the motor running yesterday. The #4 wire seemed to be the right size as it fit just right through the rubber going into the cover.

Comment

Working...
      X