Sealer, Suzuki Bond 11207B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealer, Suzuki Bond 11207B

Due to corrosion I was forced to take my Suzuki DF 90 apart. I noticed that the surface on the Oil Tank was not anodized like the Engine Mount surface, it looked like someone had taken the motor apart in the past as I am not the first owner of the motor. There was no sign of a sealer being used on the mating surfaces and yet the Suzuki manual calls out to use the Suzuki Bond 1207B on the Lower Power unit to the Engine Holder and also the Oil Tank to the Engine Holder.

I will try and attach a picture of the leak that I seen when I took my motor apart. The Engine Holder to the Lower Power unit in the exhaust flange area was leaking. I am concerned about using a sealer due to #1 the hot exhaust gas and #2 the small surface area of the gasket in that area, the picture will show the concern.

I have understood that other sealers like Quicksilver and also Permatex aircraft type sealers can be used. I sure do not want to take my motor apart again and yet I am a little Leary of using a sealer on a metal gasket?

For those who have the manual Page 6-9 states the Installation of the engine and also states the Suzuki Bond 1207B.
    Attached Files

that's not good

thanks for the pics!
    HUMAN-BUILT = HUMAN-FIXED

SWITCHBAIT

Comment

Sealer

After looking at Boats.net there is no price on the 99000-31140 : Suzuki Bond 1207B. My question is, should this sealer be used as stated in the Suzuki repair manual? I am concerned as it looked like I had a leaking gasket to start with. I do not want to take the motor apart again for another leaking gasket.

Comment

I know there is such a sealer as I used it on my DF140 when I did the shim tappets. It was called for. I bought it from Brown's Point marine another site that sells Suzuki parts. I will give this site credit though, prices here are considerably cheaper. I do all of my maintenance and if the manual calls for 1207B, I will use it!

I should also mention, last spring I helped my son rebuild his toyota 2L engine for a Celica. They called for a sealer (that looked similar to permatex) on the head gasket even though it had a metal one. We did it as they recommended and it has performed flawlessly.

Comment

same Threebond 1207

ThreeBond : Product Information : 1200 series

Comment

yep same stuff

SWITCHBAIT

Comment

Sealer, Suzuki Bond 11207B

Just for an update, I did obtain the Suzuki Bond 11207B and used it as described in the Suzuki manual. Weather or not the Suzuki Bond is better or not, it is not my thought to challenge the statement. Suzuki Bond was recommended in the repair manual and I used it as directed. Off topic a little, the new gasket set that came for the engine cradle was greatly improved from the gasket that was on my motor from the start. I am sure over the years that Suzuki has experienced leakage by the exhaust part and added protection in that area. The motor is back together now and I ran it on the muffs, no codes have come up.

Comment

sounds like they had a problem

will let my techs know

SWITCHBAIT

Comment

Working...
                X