New Forum member assistance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum member assistance needed

Hello all, just found this forum and became a member, very happy o have found this site since I am new to these engines and was hoping for a little help.

Just purchased 1998 Lund boat that has a 1998 Suzuki 60hp digital EFI fourstroke outboard. I think it is actually the first year they made these fourstrokes? The previous owner had not used the boat in sevral years, the last registration sticker on it was 2008. But he did say that he ran it every year with the hose hooked up. he did winterize it and fogged the engine, the engine does turn over but I can not get it to start. Where would be a good place to start at to diagnose the problem? I will have to put new gas in it and replace fuel filter, any suggestions on what else I should do?

Thanks Very Much

I don't have experience with that exact engine, but how long has it been since the prior owner claims to have last run it on the hose? I guess my first stop would be to ask him if he needed to do anything in particular when he ran it. If it sat for that long between starts, chances are it would take some serious priming to get fuel in the lines (I would think) so maybe that's all you're missing.

Comment

your problem is more than likely fuel related
      if the fuel system is original, I would replace the fuel lines from tank to engine
      the fuel does bad things to the inside even if the outside still looks okay
      I have a '06 kicker and just replaced that fuel line after I found the inside walls were breaking down plugging stuff up..
      check and replace the small inline fuel filter which is pre-low pressure pump
      the fuel vapor separator .. high pressure pump .. also has a filter that should be checked and cleaned..
      and would make sure the high pressure fuel rail is cleaned of old fuel
      then try it again and let us know what happens

Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
        your problem is more than likely fuel related
        if the fuel system is original, I would replace the fuel lines from tank to engine
        the fuel does bad things to the inside even if the outside still looks okay
        I have a '06 kicker and just replaced that fuel line after I found the inside walls were breaking down plugging stuff up..
        check and replace the small inline fuel filter which is pre-low pressure pump
        the fuel vapor separator .. high pressure pump .. also has a filter that should be checked and cleaned..
        and would make sure the high pressure fuel rail is cleaned of old fuel
        then try it again and let us know what happens

Art
        ok thanks for the helpful advice, I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
        X