140 4 stroke outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 4 stroke outboard

I'm considering buying a used 2006 Campion 582CC with a 140 4 stroke Suzuki outboard with approx 500 hrs on it. Does anyone know the dependability on this motor and how many hours this type of motor can run before major work has to be performed. It has been mainly used in salt water and all required required engine maintenance done annually. Owner states that engine has been freshwater rinsed religiously after every use. Price for boat, motor and trailer is $13000 which seems fair. I would appreciate any advice or expertise members can provide.

Thanks,

Seaweed
    Last edited by Seaweed; 04-27-2016, 02:30 PM.

Biggest thing to look for is going to be checking the engine holder for corrosion. Google "Suzuki DF140 engine holder corrosion" for all the pictures and information you can handle.

If that has already been addressed either via a replacement (aluminum) threaded plug or a replaced engine holder, I wouldn't have any concerns about the engine. They have an extremely good reputation with the exception of that issue.

If that has not been addressed, even if it looks fine, knowing what I know now I would not buy the boat without the seller having the plug removed and replaced. If it's not corroded it will only cost him 20 bucks or so. If he's too scared to do it, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable buying.

edit: this is all assuming the engine is also a 2006 model. If it's a 2008 or later, it will not have this issue.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate that information on the corrosion information and will certainly google that so I have a better idea what to look for.

Thanks

Comment

Look for the aluminum plug

If the owner replced the metal plug with an aluminium one, on the engine holder that Auburn was talking about it should be fine. I have an 07 and heard about this problem in 08 and replced the steel plug with aluminum one and no issues with holder.

Comment

I really appreciate the info on the corrosion, sure enough I looked at the corrosion prone area and found metal starting to flake off around the plug and owner was not aware of any corrosion problem. I will steer clear of this boat and motor and look for something newer.

Comment

Working...
          X