2007 DF140s with engine holder corrosion issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF140s with engine holder corrosion issue

Last night I first posted the message below in another recent Suzuki engine holder thread but thought I should start a new one.

I have the twin 2007 DF140s with approx. 875 hours ea. Just discovered the issue this week. A local machine shop was unwilling to try to remove the plug as they not have good success with this type of problem. A neighbor has a TIG welding machine so we will try to attach a bolt then remove the plug and replace with an aluminum one. I am concerned that there is internal engine holder corrosion. In looking at the attached image what do you think about this approach? Any suggestions? If it doesn't work, I'm thinking the only viable option is to replace the engine holder(s).

I've had one reply thus far. Thanks Jim! Here's that link.
    http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...html#post21468

We are hopefully going to start the attempt to remove the plug today or tomorrow. I'll post the results here.

Any other ideas or thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files

In addition to the plug that is normally removed to attempt to correct the problem there is another plug to the right that I've circled in the attached image. I don't see this plug shown in the engine holder diagram. What is this plug and should it also be replaced?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files

Comment

I've never heard of the plug on the right having any internal corrosion issues, as it's not exposed to raw water and/or exhaust gas. But also on any picture I've seen as well as my holder, the plug looks brand new while yours definitely has some visible corrosion on at least the plug itself.

My hunch is that you'll take a chunk out of the engine holder when you try to remove your plug, or you'll get the plug out but have insufficient threads remaining to thread in a replacement, at which point you'll be faced with the same decision I had to make - weld in a plug/patch, or replace the holder. In hindsight I think a plug/patch would have been just fine in my case, but that's not something I was willing to risk without pulling it all apart to see the condition of the internal sections and the oil pan.

Comment

That's where I am with it - pulling everything apart to ensure that there isn't a internal problem that can't be seen through the plug hole even if it can be removed.

I've been trying to figure out which parts I need as the part diagrams show the plug and I know the new engine holder part does not have it. How were you able to choose the right part number? And which other parts are needed to reassembly - I'm thinking there would be a few gaskets.

Comment

corosine

I think your on the right track, clean it up and weld another nut to it applying a little WD 140 , the heat form welding will aid in penetration remembering to use a forward and reverse motion if it moves. If all fails, I,ve read where people have drilled them out . If you're capable, its a simple job to swap it out

Comment

Originally posted by macedonia View Post
            That's where I am with it - pulling everything apart to ensure that there isn't a internal problem that can't be seen through the plug hole even if it can be removed.

I've been trying to figure out which parts I need as the part diagrams show the plug and I know the new engine holder part does not have it. How were you able to choose the right part number? And which other parts are needed to reassembly - I'm thinking there would be a few gaskets.
            I spoke to my Suzuki shop where I ordered the parts to confirm the part # I needed. Mine is an '03 so I'm not sure if the holder I ordered would be the same one you need, but the one I got was 51110-90832-0EP.

And yes, will definitely need a few gaskets. I actually removed my intake manifold and thus replaced that gasket, but turns out you don't need to remove it to disconnect the powerhead from the holder. Gaskets you'll definitely need are the engine holder gasket (between powerhead and engine holder), oil pan gasket (between oil pan and holder) and valve cover gasket. I also replaced the oil pickup tube O-ring and the 4 spark plug tube gaskets. Everything else I ordered was assorted maintenance items. I did end up having to replace a couple of tiny cotter pins for the clutch linkage since the old ones broke apart when removing them. I think that's it.

Comment

Επισκευή ηλεκτρόλυσης ==>Suzuki DF 140<==

Have a look at what i ve done on my own df140 johnzuki

Comment

https://youtu.be/o1guoA-nXP0

Comment

Working...
                X