Network issues after C-10 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network issues after C-10 install

Trying to keep this short and sweet...not too wordy.

Ordered a new boat last fall...with 2018 DF150.....had dealer install N2K network while keeping analog gauges (thanks to Moonlighter's tutorial - dealer was clueless at first)

Install went fine....Garmin 94SV and analog gauges worked great.

I had most N2K engine info on the Garmin. Life was good.

Talked myself into buying a C-10 couple weeks ago.

Installed it myself and everything was good (except for trim numbers jumping by themselves...even after trim calibration...another story).

Few days ago, went to take boat out and now I have no engine info to C-10 or Garmin. They recognize the engine interface and see the correct software, but they're getting no info. They also recognize the Fusion stereo on the network.

Some suggested it was a voltage issue, and it may be, but everything was fine at initial install at 12.4v.

So I ran it on muffs, 14.6v, no change.

I guess interface cables can go bad, but the timing is weird.

Any suggestions? How can I determine it's actually the cable without spending $100?

And why would a cable go bad after only 6 months or so?

Annnnd....could installing the C-10 have damaged the cable?

IMG_9668.jpgIMG_9669.jpgIMG_9670.jpgIMG_9671.jpg

And if I'm going to replace the interface cable, I guess this is where I start?

I wasn't there during the dealer install, I just forwarded them Moonlighter's instructions and the Brown's Marine shopping link supplied by him.

He was a HUGE help during all this, by the way. Send him ribs and Sweet Baby Ray's.

So...this is the SDS adapter cable?

I cant find the blocky part of the interface cable that reads "Suzuki Eng Intrfce". Maybe it's up in the wire chase?

IMG_9696.jpg

Yep, lots of questions, because I have a feeling I'll be doing this myself unless I can find a tech around here that doesn't stare blankly when you ask about this stuff.

Thanks for any assistance
    Greg

Yes, that is the SDS adapter cable, and its connected to the SDS plug on the engine.

That same plug on the engine is the one that the laptop connects to when mechanic services the engine to download fault and service codes etc. so whever the dealer services the engine they will unplug the connection that you have circled. And hopefully they will reconnect it with everything intact after they finish.

The standard SDS adapter cable is usually about 4 ft long or so from memory. If you can trace it, it should run around the engine and then thru the rigging tube grommet with the throttle cables and fuel lines, and thus thru the rigging tube and back into the boat. Sometimes dealers wrap the adapter cable up and connect the interface cable in the engine bay, so possibly you could find the adapter cable to interface cable connection in the engine bay when you trace it around.

More commonly the adapter cable is run thru the rigging tube, and the interface cable then connected to the end.

Depending on how long that rigging tube is in your boat, in that case, the interface cable might be found just inside the transom, or, it could even be somewhere inside the rigging tube, between the engine and the boat.

In either case, the sensitive interface cable is therefore located in a wet, hot, oily and vibration filled position, which I think is completely rediculous as I mentioned to you on the THT post. And is why I so strongly advocate for a much longer SDS adapter cable, one that will reach all the way from the engine to the dash area.

Only one way to find out ..... and that is to trace the SDS see where it connects to the interface cable ....

Getting the adapter/interface cables thru the rigging tube is the hardest part of the whole network install - you have to take the lower side covers off the engine to open up the grommet where the cables go through and then find a way to fish the cables thru the flexible rigging tube and into the boat without damaging the plubs on the end.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-04-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

4’ or so...that gives me an area to search for, thank you. They may indeed connect in the rigging tube, as I didn’t see any connection before the cables steering lines etc disappeared into the tube.

My dealer/installer never returned my calls yesterday so I’m moving on to another shop. This guy seems to know his stuff, says he’s seen interface cables get taken out by voltage spikes, so maybe that’s what happened here.

Learning a bunch here, thanks again!

Comment

So Donny at Salt Water Marine in Wilmington NC is awesome. He said the NMEA install was crap. Interface and a T were in a storage locker that of course gets wet. The installers (Cape Fear Marine, also in Wilmington) ran the NMEA power all wrong as well. I’m not surprised a bit.

He talked to his Suzuki rep and found out they make an SDS extension cable which will allow the interface to be located under the console, as you suggested.

I highly recommend these guys to anyone around here.

Thanks again, Grant!

Comment

Working...
        X