first valve check @ 200 hr, df115 k6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first valve check @ 200 hr, df115 k6

Hi, first post.... bought a 2006 Thunder Jet Luxor in December, powered with a Suzy df115 k6. The motor shows 250 hr on the tach and I have no maintenance history. If anyone remembers their first valve check.... do these motors usually need valve lash adjustments at the 200 hr check?

Every one is different. Just because many may not need adjustment, does not mean yours doesn’t.

Doing the valve clearance check itself is not difficult.

The difficulty arises if you need to make adjustments, when replacement shims and a special tool is required.

One option is to do the check yourself + if no adjustment is required, you are good. If adjustment is required, ask a Suzuki dealer to do it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Moonlighter. I have a bit of experience with Yamaha motorcycle engines and recognize that some motor lines have more early valve lash variance. I'm new to big outboards and specifically this df115. I bought an oem manual and the valve check and adjust looks pretty straightforward, not sure about shim availability here in Whitehorse. Way easier set than pulling cams.

I've been lurking on this site since I bought the boat and have read all your work on NMEA2000 and put some effort into finding a v2.30 loadable interface.... no such luck

Comment

You would probably have to get the shims ordered in - dealers usually get a kit containing many different sized shims so they might sell individual ones to you, or not. The DF 115 is basically the 2.0 litre engine from the Suzuki Swift/Sierra car range, so the valve train wont be difficult for you to understand.

One of the other senior members here, Artdf175, made up his own special valve compressing/holding tool so you could search his posts and check that out.

Yes, the early interface cables are becoming as rare as rocking horse 💩 if you see one grab it fast!
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-01-2019, 01:07 AM.

Comment

first thing will be to pull the valve cover and see how things measure up and go from there. I have considered making my own compressing tool, but first I will see if I need one. like my motorcycles, if I can't fix it myself I can't afford to own it.

Comment

Working...
          X