2018 df20a efi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 df20a efi

am planning to install the DF20A as my trolling motor. Can this motor interface with my existing C10 guage, (boat have a a DF250A)? to keep track of hours used, rpm, temp, etc.

Yes, A series engines all the way down to DF15A will output NMEA2000 engine data to the network.

So it is possible to do. I havent really thought about it, but after brief consideration, You would need to start from scratch and set the network up the same as if you had twin engines.

1. redo the network configuration to set the boat up as 2 engines/1 tank etc, and set one engine as port and the other as starboard even though one is main and one is aux.
    2. Redo setup of the C-10 to set it up it to show twin engines. If you had more than one C10 if would be better, I think, so one gauge could be dedicated to each engine.

So in short, its not nearly as simple as just getting another interface cable for the 20 and just plugging it into the network!

But I cant see any reason why, with some thought and planning, that it cant be done.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Is this the right component for my application: Suzuki SMIS Engine Interface Cable (v3.5)

Comment

Yes that is the correct cable.

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            Yes, A series engines all the way down to DF15A will output NMEA2000 engine data to the network.

So it is possible to do. I havent really thought about it, but after brief consideration, You would need to start from scratch and set the network up the same as if you had twin engines.

1. redo the network configuration to set the boat up as 2 engines/1 tank etc, and set one engine as port and the other as starboard even though one is main and one is aux.
            2. Redo setup of the C-10 to set it up it to show twin engines. If you had more than one C10 if would be better, I think, so one gauge could be dedicated to each engine.

So in short, its not nearly as simple as just getting another interface cable for the 20 and just plugging it into the network!

But I cant see any reason why, with some thought and planning, that it cant be done.

I only have one guage at the console which is about 20' from the main motor. What is the approx length of the Suzuki SMIS interface cable so that I can add the right backbone cable lenght.

Comment

Its not long enough.

In any case you will need the SDS adapter cable to plug into the SDS port in the engine, then plug the interface into the other end of the adapter cable, then, if necessary you can cut the adapter cable in half part way along and solder in an extension to suit your needs. No special wire required to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

I am not really comfortable configuring above. Can i simply just connect the SDS adapter cable and SMIS Engine Interface Cable V3.5 to the NMEA 2K and it will show the DF20 as a device in the Lowrance unit, thereby I do not have to configure the main motor Multifunction guage?

Comment

No, you unfortunately cant just do that. System isnt designed that way and trying it WILL cause problems.

The Network has to be configured properly so it knows that it is dealing with 2 engines and can identify which one is which. Otherwise, you wont be able to show engine data from the second engine on your gauge.

This configuration is the EXACT same procedure that has to be done when running twin engines of the same hp. The only thing different is that yours are different hp. Its no big deal.

Its been some time since your original post. Reading back again, I havent heard of anyone else who has done this, so you are going to be a bit of a trail blazer on this forum if you go ahead. I dare say someone else somewhere has done it though. For the same reasons that you want to do it.

Many people run twin or triple or even Quad engines, but of course they are same horsepower. But they do sometimes turn one engine off and just troll with the other engine on.

So, there’s no reason I can see why having two engines of different hp on the same network will not work just fine, especially when the normal operation will be one of them turned off when the other is running.

You would want to do a few things slightly differently though. As follows, and for the reasons I will explain.

Again, this stuff might sound a bit complicated, but if you go step by step in the correct sequence, it really is quite straightforward.

1. Yes it will be imperative to configure the network correctly. This isnt as complex or scary as you might think. I will give as much info as I can to explain this, so hopefully you can understand and not be worried about doing this configuration process.

All you are doing by configuring is telling the network: “hey Buddy, you are talking to 2 engines here! This one with a device number xxxx is (For example) the port engine and its 175hp, and this one with device number xxxy is starboard and its 20hp. Got it! And by the way, both engines are drawing fuel from the same tank, and it holds yy gallons”. That is it done.

The Network and attached gauges and other devices then can differentiate between the 2 engines, and it allows gauges to be set to point to the desired engine.

Just a couple of easy steps and I can walk you thru them, although the steps are pretty much as I explained earlier.

This can only be done after the second engine is connected to the network. Even though you wouldnt have the traditional port and starboard engines like twins, you will have to designate them that way because thats just how the system is designed. So whichever side the kicker is on the transom would make sense to determine whether you call it the port of starboard engine. Simples!

2. the network power connection is most likely currently wired from its T into a spare + connector on the main engine’s harness behind the dash. Thats the most common way its done. What that means is that whenever the main engine key is turned to the on position (where it beeps) the network is then powered on, and the C-10 gauge starts up because it is powered from the network. Does yours work like that? Then that is how its wired.

So with 2 engines on the network, you would have to leave the main engine key to “on” for the network to stay powered on and for the gauge to therefore operate and be able to show data from the kicker. Or, (better plan) you could disconnect the network + power wire from the main engine harness, and put it to a separate switch on your dash. That way you can turn the network on and off independent of the main engine key. That is actually how I have my network powered - separate switch on my switch panel. So this would mean that the network would work while the main engine key is turned off. Network needs power to be on to enable devices to communicate.

3. to set up 2 pages on your C-10, one for data from the main engine, and one for the data from the kicker. You can also set up a custom fuel data page that shows you fuel used from each engine, and combined total used.

I do think its going to work just fine. Cant guarantee that 100%, but equally, I cant think of a reason why it wouldnt work. Especially if you main motor is also running interface version 3.5.

I wouldnt be explaining how it should be set it up if I believed that it wouldnt work.

Comment

Moonlighter, You made it sound so simple and I really appreciate the time you spend explaining the configuration. I have the Multi Function guage, not the C10.
                    I will be ordering soon. Suzuki SMIS Engine Interface Cable (v3.5) Part No: 990C0-88149-354 and SMIS Adapter to connect at engine SDS Part No: 990C0-88136. Hopefully these are the right ones.
                    Last edited by Didoban; 05-19-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

STOP!

You originally said you have a C10 gauge.

Now, you say you have a Suzuki multi function gauge. Perhaps a SMG4 ??

So I am now confused about what you really have. They are two totally different gauges and MORE IMPORTANTLY they operate on totally different systems.

The C-10 Is a square 4” color digital gauge and is a clone of a Simrad IS35. It will only work when connected to the engine via a NMEA2000 network and a Suzuki engine interface cable. It has square sharp corners. It has only ever been supplied in the USA.

The SMG4 is made by Suzuki and has been available to the rest of the world except USA since 2015. It DOES NOT use a interface cable, connects directly to the engine harness. The gauge, in effect, does the functions of the interface cable and the gauge outputs engine data that can be shared with other devices IF it is attached to a NMEA2000 network. This gauge is also a square colour digital display but it has rounded off corners.

The 2 systems are not able to be run together. Full stop.

What does this mean? If you actually have a SMG4 gauge, you can ignore all my earlier suggestions because they no longer apply. It wont work.

Its been a complete waste of time.

And I have no idea whether you can run 2 engines of different hp via a SMG4 gauge. You will need to talk to your Suzuki dealer.

Comment

Sorry about that! I thought I mentioned in my earlier post, I corrected that i have the multifunction guage, not the C10. I guess I am out of luck. Anyways, still appreciate your quick response. thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X