How do I rename Bus devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I rename Bus devices?

I have discovered that the SMIS fuel gauges for my port and starboard fuel tanks are reversed. Is there a simple way to rename the Bus devices for these tanks? Or, do I need to unconfigure and then reconfigure these Bus devices to properly rename the tanks?
    Last edited by blue_bayou; 06-23-2016, 01:09 PM. Reason: detail

I take it that you have fluid level sensors on each tank and that is what you need to fix?

In all honestly i have never had to do what you asked. Suggest you open each device and see if it will allow you to change the name. Otherwise unconfig and reconfig might be the only way to go.

Comment

yes, the Bus devices are for the fluid level sensors. I am just hesitant to unconfigure them without knowing if this is the proper way to correct the mislabeling.

Comment

I have not used the SMIS system but have used the Lowrance fuel management device on my Skeeter - I suspect they may operate similarly because they are only memory devices. As you can see from the Lowrance instructions below, you can't use a duplicate name so you would have to rename one tank to something like Tank 1, then rename the other tank to reflect its proper location (Port or Starboard) then go back and rename Tank 1 to what you want it to be. I would not hesitate to reconfigure your set up - or even unconfigure then reconfigure - these are simple devices that only seem complicated to us mortals (that's what I tell myself each time I attack something associated with computers and memory devices.) I trust both tanks are the same size and configuration but if not you will have to change that info also. Go to it.

Reconfiguring a Fluid Level
        Reconfiguring a fluid level allows you to easily switch the configuration
        name of a fluid level.
        Name already in use
        If you want to reconfigure a fluid level, but the desired configuration
        name, location and fluid type is configured to another fluid level, you
        will have to unconfigure a fluid level to make the desired configuration
        settings available. When you attempt to reconfigure a fluid level to a
        configuration name already in use, the following message will appear:
        Name already in use.
        Last edited by RayBersch; 06-23-2016, 10:23 PM. Reason: clarity
        Ray
        2004 DF50

Comment

Working...
        X