2018 DF200A Not Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 DF200A Not Starting

Is there anyone on this planet that understands how Suzuki outboards are wired ?? Here is my issue. I have a pair of 2018 DF200A motors that on installation last year had a bad Port key from the start which was replaced. Motors started and ran good end of last year. This year I pull them out of storage and the Port motor does not start...nothing. I checked a bunch of wiring and noticed that the brown wire coming out of the key to a connector was NOT connected on the Port key but was connected to the harness on the Starboard key. I tested this wire on the port key and it has no power and when I put the test light (which is grounded) to the pin that connects from the brown wire from the key...nothing happened....BUT when I put the test light on the pin connected to the brown wire that goes back into the harness the motor fired. When I unplugged the starboard connector and plugged the port one from the key into the starboard one in the harness...the key worked. So....I determined these are the neutral safety switch wires. I then jumped the brown wire on the Port Key and it fired. But......by jumping this wire the Port neutral safety switch should not work.....but it does. So I am concerned if I am bypassing a ground problem by jumping the brown wires on the port key. Does anyone have an idea as to how these wires on these Suzukis work ? The are also connected to analog gauges...not digital.
    Last edited by Doc Z....; 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM.

first read the Sticky at the top regarding the white wire.
    The brown wire off the key switch is the starter wire- it also sends power to the neutral switch
    This should have no power, that is, until you turn the key to the 'Start' position.
    The brown wire that comes out of the key switch should be put back in the connector so that it matches the brown wire the runs back to the engine.
    If you turn the key to Start and the brown wire out of the key switch is not energized - the key switch is more than likely bad
    Art

Comment

Yes...It looks like the neutral safety switch is back because when I jump the brown wires the key works and the motor starts. Apparently the neutral safety switch will still work because there is a second one on the throttle on the motor........which is what was confusing me. I figured it wouldn't prevent the motor from starting in gear when I jumped it but it still does because this second switch is working...the one in the shifter at the helm is bad.

Comment

Working...
      X