df 140 won't turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• df 140 won't turn over

Boat was doing fine . I shut it down to get kids back on tube , when I went to start it . it would only click . I figured my battery went down . Got towed to marina , tried to boost it off and nothing would happen . When I would turn the key on the dash lights will come on and fuel and amp gauge would come up but when I turn to start nothing happens and everything goes blank like the battery is dead . I took battery off and had it checked , checked good . I took the starter and checked it and it checked good . All connections seem to be ok . I tried to jump starter across and nothing happened , would only through week sparks . when I took the started off it was engaged like it would do with a week battery . I was thinking the cables were bad so I checked volts at battery and at starter and they seemed to be the same , however I didn't have the best meter . Any suggestions what to do next , I don't know much about outboards . Thanks

I know it seems crazy but if you or someone you know has another battery I would try it. Batteries can do crazy things. I know its a simple mistake but make sure the kill switch is still engaged. Those are just the simple quick checks. After that it would be spark and more detail. Good luck!!
    2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Same problem for me

I have the same problem on my DF90 which has done 80 hours. Got on the water and tried starting but only got the click click click sound. After paddling back to the ramp and getting back on the trailer and home, I tried jump starting from my car battery but the motor still wouldn't start. I swapped my battery for one from a friend's boat and was able to start the motor fine.

Went out the next morning for a 5 hour fishing session. Got back home and tried to rinse the motor and it did the same click, click click sound the but motor wouldn't start. The trim motor also wouldn't work. Navigation lights however were still working. I had my battery on charge overnight so I tried reinstalling. It still does the click click click but the motor doesn't fire.

I was lucky we were trolling for most of the 5 hours we were out fishing otherwise I would normally have turned the engine off at some point while stopping for a fuel tank change/lunch/snorkeling/working shallow water. It probably wouldn't have started if we had to turn the motor back on at sea. Dead in the water with no power, 25 miles from shore sitting just outside a nasty barrier reef would not have been a good situation to be in.

I'm about to take it back to the dealer for warranty repair. Am keen to hear if anyone else has had similar problems.

Comment

Generally, problems as those reported by Firepilot and sio_nc indicate 1) weak battery or 2) bad wire or wire connections. Lights and gauges function because they do not pull a lot of power but starter motors and trim motors do pull a lot of power. Batteries may charge but have a bad cell and will not provide sufficient power when heavy loads are demanded - OR - wires are not providing sufficient connection - all wire connections should be removed, cleaned, replaced and tightened - not simply given a quick glance or simple tug - wires can have internal corrosion, especially if operated in salt water atmosphere. Once the battery and all wires and connections have been properly checked but the problem continues, then the ignition switch may be the problem. These are usually simple problems but require attention to detail and a methodical trouble shooting approach. Keep at it.

Ray
        Ray
        2004 DF50

Comment

Working...
        X