2014 DF140 White Wire ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 DF140 White Wire ??

My engine does not appear to have the white wire. Is this possible on some years/models?

the white wire is pretty much the standard for all Suzuki engines
    tell us what prompts your question
    Art

Comment

So... I have replaced a 2006 DF140 with a 2014 DF140. While hooking everything up I could not find the connector near the main harness plug for the white wire from my battery. There is no lead coming off of the harness. I decided to give it a go and checked to see if I had trim at the controls and I did. I turned the key, everything self tested and the engine fired up. It appears the ECU on this model 2014 pulls power from the positive terminal on the starter? I would be in total agreement with you regarding the ww but this motor has proved me wrong. I was concerned that I could somehow damage the ECU so I called the nearest Suzuki service center and first they said they all have the ww wire. I told them the motor fired up and trim works, and after being put on hold for about five minutes the mechanic got on the phone and said some are wired this way??

Comment

Some dealers took shortcuts and attached the white wire to the + terminal on the starter motor. Not recommended at all.

If you see it attached there, it would be an idea to reroute it thru the rigging tube to the + on the main battery switch.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter! The shop I called for info was the same one I bought the engine from. Perhaps while I was on hold there was a discussion regarding this practice. I have the ww from my last engine already rigged and ready to go- just couldn’t locate connector. Would they have cut the barrel connector off and put a ring connector on? I will have to dig into it a bit and see how it’s been routed. Regards.

Comment

I had to order a separate WW harness that plugs into the main harness Suzuki 36625-93J00 Battery lead. One end plugged into the harness - the other end went to the start battery + terminal. This was for a 2014 DF250 mechanical

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
              Some dealers took shortcuts and attached the white wire to the + terminal on the starter motor. Not recommended at all.

If you see it attached there, it would be an idea to reroute it thru the rigging tube to the + on the main battery switch.
              The boat I just purchased has the WW connected to the + terminal on the starter battery, Is there a picture or diagram showing where it needs to go on the main battery switch (I apologize, but I don't want to hook it up wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by Pot Hole View Post

The boat I just purchased has the WW connected to the + terminal on the starter battery, Is there a picture or diagram showing where it needs to go on the main battery switch (I apologize, but I don't want to hook it up wrong)
                Its OK where it is.

But you should be able to figure out which pole on you main battery switch is live when the switch is turned on.

The instructions for the battery switch should show this info, it wont be a Suzuki switch you would have to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

Its OK where it is.

But you should be able to figure out which pole on you main battery switch is live when the switch is turned on.

The instructions for the battery switch should show this info, it wont be a Suzuki switch you would have to find it.
                  Since I bought this boat used, I will have to research the configuration of the switch I have to figure out where it goes.

Like others have mentioned, some dealers apparently took a short cut and hooked it to the + side of the starter battery. In my case, I don't know if the dealer did that to mine or a previous owner. I wouldn't think Suzuki would have supplied as much wire as the white wire has if they didn't intend for it to go up to the switch.
                  Last edited by Pot Hole; 07-16-2019, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Yes. Exactly.

Plus, in the install wiring instructions, Suzuki says quite clearly words to the effect that the white wire must go to its own independent power supply.

Some people want to debate whether that means direct to the start battery + terminal, or, as my Suzuki dealer and all others that I know of, put it to the main battery switch + pole.

IMO it makes good common sense to put it to the main switch - my reasoning is simple - should bad electrical things happen on the engine, and smoke or sparks start flying there, you want a quick and reliable way to totally cut power supply to the engine and the ecu. I rest my case, Your Honour.

It is very bad idea to attach it to the starter motor, the voltage drop when the engine is started will sooner or later cause big problems.

Comment

Update- I know it’s been awhile but... the 2014 DF140 had NO white wire. The engine was a warranty factory rebuild and the shop eliminated the white wire and ran to the starter post as Moonlighter predicted. I don’t know why this was done. Even though under warranty, I decided to sell the motor for a fair price and re rigged with a new one.

Comment

Hey guys,
                        I have a DF140 and this white wire (in thread above) appears from the wiring harness up in the cab and was on a positive bus bar along with aux switches like lights and gps etc. we have had a few issues with battery running flat and I noticed the aux connections at the battery were sparking like there was a draw when all was off. I have traced it back to this wire being the one that’s drawing even when the ignition switch is off.
                        Any ideas what or why this is? I am installing and isolator and acr for a new dual battery set but concerned that as soon as the isolator is on there will be this constant draw.

Comment

Sturbo
                          Your configuration sounds like you do not have a battery switch.
                          the white wire supplies power at the remote to the trim switch on the remote and the engines ECU. so basically the engine ECU is powered on all the time.
                          Art

Comment

Working...
                          X