DF115A lowered rev limiter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF115A lowered rev limiter???

2014 DF115A, has just gone over 100 hours.

Since new after break-in it has always had a 6100RPM rev limiter which I can sometimes hit depending on load or trim - which I am fine with since I run loaded a lot so it runs 5900-6000 almost all the time.

Recently, I have found the rv limiter is hitting early - looks like 5800 on the tach - and I've lost speed (2mph) - I tried to reset using the key on and pull the clip - no result.

Anyone know what's going on?

No check engine lights or any other issues.

I think you misunderstand the rev limiter. These engines have a rev limit that is set in the ecu of about 6400. It cannot be changed, even by a Suzuki dealer.

So if you choose a prop that has too little pitch, or you get into aerated water where the prop loses grip, then at full/high throttle it is possible that engine will hit the limiter at 6400rpm - what happens then is that you get an over-rev alarm that goes off and the revs are automatically cut back, and you have to pull the throttle back and shift out of gear for a second or two to clear the alarm and be able to go into gear and accelerate again.

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with resetting anything - all you did by doing what you did with the key and lanyard was to reset the oil change alert/maintenence reminder!!

What most poeple talk about is the max rpm they can achieve at full throttle with the engine trimmed out.

In these circumstances the most common things that cause a reductions in achievable revs are...

- Extra weight has found its way into the boat

- prop has been damaged even slightly

- engine isnt trimmed out as far as it was preiously or if jack plate is fitted, not running as high

- boat has growth on the hull

- fuel is old and has lost volatiles or you filled up with E-10 etc

- dirty fuel is beginning to clog fuel filters (you really must run a water separating fuel filter in line between the tank and the primer bulb to help with this)
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-12-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The actual rev limiter is lower now by 3-400 RPM.

It is bouncing off the rev limiter at a lower RPM and the speed of the boat is slower too.

I am getting the rev light and can clearly hear it bouncing off the rev limiter. I've tried returning to neutral lots and it does nothing.

If it were not for the loss of speed then I would be inclined to think it was a tach error but I think not.

None of the common things you mentioned are occurring -

This appears to be a purely electronic issue with the ECU -

Comment

Take it to your dealer. Needs investigation by Suzuki because something is seriously wrong.

Comment

Unfortunately I am stuck fixing this myself as there are no dealers in the area. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
          X