Suzuki DF140 Gradient Overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF140 Gradient Overheat

I've scoured previous topics on here regarding this matter and discussed this in a previous post I kinda hyjacked a while back. I need help with one issue.

I recently purchased a 2006 DF140 with 428 hours. Motor cranks and runs great for about 15 minutes then I get the warning lights, beeping, and motor drops to below 3000 rpms. I can shut her down, let it sit for a minute and crank it back up and run fine for a while before it does it again. I purchased Suzuki diagnostic software and it reflects 14 previous instances of Gradient Overheats (no thermal overheats). As a precaution, I went ahead and changed impeller (old one looked great and put out a solid stream of water) and I replaced the anodes. Previous owner said he had dealt with an occasional overheat issue, but not very frequently.

My online research suggest that Sensors will only throw a Code to the ECM only if the sensor has gone bad, but not if it is working, albeit erratically (someone correct me if I am wrong). Additional online research suggests that a common problem that arises with these motors and causes a gradient overheat is erratic fluctuation in the Exhaust Manifold Temperature Sensor of which there are two of them on my motor. I could easily just replace both of them and (hopefully) solve my problem, but my preference would be to test them individually and identify whether or not one of them is performing erratically. Is there a simple way to test the these sensors, and if so, can I do it with a simple ohm meter or do I need something else? I have also heard of measuring manifold temperature, but I don't have an IR gun to take these temps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If you have the SDS software have you pulled the save data and looked at the last 3 caution system events? they should be Overheat grad. do any of the recorded sensors look out of line with normal operating range?

Comment

Pull the exhaust sensor and look at it. You'll know if it's bad...and likely is your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rducky View Post
        If you have the SDS software have you pulled the save data and looked at the last 3 caution system events? they should be Overheat grad. do any of the recorded sensors look out of line with normal operating range?
        Yes I pulled the data and there are 14 Gradient overheats and no thermal overheats over the life of the engine. I will look and see if I can determine if the sensors show readings that are considered out of range.

Originally posted by Ole Joe View Post
        Pull the exhaust sensor and look at it. You'll know if it's bad...and likely is your problem.
        I pulled the Exhaust Manifold Temp sensor that is on the side of the manifold (there is also one on top). It was perfectly clean and looked brand new. That doesn't mean it isn't bad, which prompted my question as to how I can go about checking it using basic tools like an ohm meter.

Comment

Sorry I gave you bad advice. I run a pair of 2003 DF140s with 2,250 hrs on them...and they have never run better. I've had the exhaust temp sensors go out on both engines - twice. In each case, the sensor has been eaten up by calvanic corrosion...dis-similar metals in a horrible environment. I felt certain you would find the same thing.

Attached is the resistance table covering those sensors. A word of caution. I have not cross referenced your 2006 part numbers against my 2003 numbers, but if you find they are the same, I would think these values will be what you need.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.

Comment

Resistance table again,

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Joe View Post
              Sorry I gave you bad advice. I run a pair of 2003 DF140s with 2,250 hrs on them...and they have never run better. I've had the exhaust temp sensors go out on both engines - twice. In each case, the sensor has been eaten up by calvanic corrosion...dis-similar metals in a horrible environment. I felt certain you would find the same thing.
              One reason could be that this engine has never seen salt water. Even the anodes I replace didn't look too bad and I feel sure they have never been replaced before.

I'm fairly handy working on motors, but evaluating sensors is something I've never done. Thanks for the chart, I'll post back up when I have time to research this more.

Comment

Working...
              X