Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head Gasket removal

Hello everyone,

Any advice on how to remove remains residue from head gasket? I bought a can of Permatex gasket removal, and it didn't work very well. There is still adhesive residue stuck on both sealing surfaces. I have a 1980 dt9.9c and I don't think this head gasket was ever removed so this stuff is baked on pretty good!!

try some acetone

Comment

I tried soaking the head in acetone overnight ....but the stuff isn't coming off?!? I've seen some online videos about using 3m roloc bristle brush on a die grinder, but some people are in favour of using it, and others are adamantly against it?? I think I may have to try it, if I don't remove the adhesive properly I won't get a good seal and compression will be impacted.

Comment

have you tried wd-40?
        this was remove a lot of stubborn glues / adhesives that other solvents wont touch
        also a plastic scrapper that Will not scratch the surfaces.

and there is another product that comes to mind "goof off"

if you cant get a good surface, you may need to take it to a machine shop and have it machined off

art

Comment

Thanks for the reply, i've tried wd-40, permatex, penetrating oil, and acetone..and yet, there are still remnants of adhesive and paper portion of the gasket on both the head as well as the block.....(the leading edge of plastic scrapper disintegrated when I used permatex!!) machining the head wouldn't be that difficult, but I'd rather not take the head off if I can avoid it. Stupid question : are both head and block aluminum on this motor?

Comment

Caustic oven cleaner

Comment

Working...
            X