Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF90 NMEA2000 Network Issue

Hi All,

Got an issue with my newly installed NMEA network and waiting to know if any NMEA gurus could assist.

The bits installed:
    New NMEA 2000 Interface cable software version 2.9 was installed.
    New NMEA 2000 N2K Network and 3 black T connectors with 60 ohm termintors fitted to each end of the back bone and powered off positive and negative studs under dash fed from battery at rear.
    Old Lowarance LMS332C Depth Sounder / Chart Plotter - yeah i know time to upgrade but still works great connected to the network using a blue to black cable (home made, i.e. cut the end off an old lowarance blue connectore cable and soldered to a new black cable after removing the black end) powered from key switch on circuit.

The issue:
    Everything works can see all ECU output when engine running on display but the fuel used reading was rediculously high when i sea trialed her (I used approx 40 ishL and it indicated 77.5L used) and also the fuel management data kept resetting tank capacity to zero litres instead of 100, also the engine data kept changing by itself to a 140hp. Got reading up and worked out the software version want suitable for my DF90 (2008 model) motor has only got 127hrs on it. So found software version 2.5 for the Suzuki interface cable and downgraded didn't help so down graded to the recommended version of 2.3. Had a little success so the engine data stays put at a DF90/115 and it appears as though the fuel reading is accurate as it now reads 0.7l/hr at idle (before was 1.6l/h) but the fuel tank capacity - every time I power down the sounder and restart it resets it itself 0 litres capacity?

Anyone got any idea as to how to resolve this, I have tried resetting this with engine running and saving the new configuration but as soon as I turn the sounder off it resets tank capacity back to 0 litres - very frustrating. Also have tried reconfiguring with engine running powering sounder down and turned off engine, then isolating the battery isolator for a bit then turning back on - no change.

Advice appreciated.
    Last edited by ruger01; 07-27-2016, 12:45 AM.

With a 2008 DF90, software vsion 2.30 should work, and I mean, I would bet serious money on it working!

It sounds like youve got everything else set up fine, although 1 thing that I would suggest that might be affecting it is to change the network bus power source so that it is connected to the engine harness - therefore the bus only gets power when the engine key is turned on. Leaving the bus with power always on when the battery main switch is on isnt good practice.

Now, to the main problem: I am pretty sure that your old LMS has a external GPS puck antenna, correct? And in those days, the puck got powered thru a power connection on the lowrance power plug. I am pretty sure that, back in the memory banks of when I first started to play the Suzuki N2K game, that we had to cut the puck's power supply on the Lowrance cable to avoid double-powering the network backbone.

This is a trap for the unaware and could well be the cause of your issues!

So get behind the dash, find the Lowrance power cable and cut or disconnect the power wires that power the puck.

There should be 3 groups of wires from the Lowrance power cable:

1. Power for the LMS display unit: white, red and black wires
    2. Power for the N2K network: red, black and shield
    3. Data connections (NMEA 0183 data) : blue, yellow, orange and shield.

The ones listed in point 2 above are the ones to cut/disconnect.

PLAN B: this is an option that also ensures that the network is only powered from 1 source:
    Disconnect the network power supply to the T as you've currently got it set up. This would mean that the network will only get power when the LMS is turned on. May be less practical than option 1, but can be done this way.

Let us know how you go.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-26-2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Moonlighter, Yes you are correct the LMS332C has an external puck GPS antenna connected to it through the sounder power cable (LGC2000 lowrance antenna) from memory. I didn't even think of that as being an issue - thanks heaps for the tip I will reconfigure the wiring tonight and let you know how I get on.

Also mate much appreciate the write up you did on another forum on setting up NMEA2000 network and being able to retain the suzuki analog gauges, I would not have stood a chance without that doc. The tip on being able to buy the connectors from Eastern Beaver to make up my own cable from the diagnostic port to interface cable saved me some cash as well

Comment

Why didn't I find this a few months back when i was installing this, hope I haven't stuff the interface module

***Lowrance Help Topics, Networking Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams***

Looks like my LMS332C is powering the network as well as my power node.

Comment

Yes, the problem now is that there are so few of those LMS series units still alive that we forget this issue, which of course was quite prevalent back in the early days, hence that post on BbC boards.

The other thing is that the LMS units have, again from memory, quite limited N2K functionality. You can add engine data as data overlay items on any screen, but i dont think they have the engine data pages (virtual dashboards) and the like. They were kind of Gen1 N2k and i think they were marketed as NMEA2000 "capable" rather than "certified".

I know it hurts, but they are getting close to past their use-by dates! You are very lucky from all reports that your GPS puck is still alive. By now, most of them have given the dreaded "no signal" error message and been consigned to the bin.....

Depending on your needs, i recently updated my old HDS gen 1 combo to a Simrad GO7 xse with the totalscan transducer. Really easy to use, all touch screen, and the sounder image quality/discrimination/sensitivity improvement over the HDS was really noticeable, so it would take you to another planet from the old LMS!

And dont get me started on what you can see on the side scan. Just incredible stuff!!

I paid just on $1000 here in Aus, but you can get them quite a bit cheaper in the US. Might be worth a look

Comment

Yeah Moonlighter you are correct there is no functionality to display data on the LMS on virtual gauges which would be sweet i might add. I just get a list of data I can over lay on screens, all I really wanted was fuel used, fuel remaining each trip instead of the inaccurate analogue gauge.

Will definitely look into the Simrad series of sounders never actually thought to look at them as always was had Lowrance's nor really by choice just what came with boats I bought etc.

I will cut the wires for the LMS network power cable tonight and ensure the rest of it is wired correctly. I also noticed in a wiring diagram on the net the original LMS had its own 60ohm terminator fitted - I am pretty sure I removed this though already but will check. Ta much for the help mate I would have still been scratching my head on this, although it would have been a prime excuse to convince the minister to allow procurement of a new Simrad etc
            Last edited by ruger01; 07-27-2016, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Well I just disconnected the power cable (red, black and shield) from the lowrance nmea2000 supply from the lms, and rewired the power node of my new n2k network back bone through a switch on the dash panel that was spare. Still not letting me save the tank capacity configuration, even tried with the engine running in case it was a voltage issue. I can now flick the switch and kill power to the network turn it back on and the capacity returns correctly .As soon as the sounder is powered down though it resets to 0.

I haven't tried a hard reset on the sounder yet, and am outta ideas and patients - time to save up for a new sounder.

In better news loving that sweet looking Simrad have been researching it all arve

Comment

Moonlighter just a quick thank you mate.

I had installed a Simrad go7 XSE a while back after the above Lowrance LMS issues. Got everything working great except every now and then I would get a low voltage alarm on the sounder when cranking engine (even though the battery voltage was 12.8v plus) also every so often and when i would go to take off the motor wouldn't rev past 3K and had no power, could barely plain. After stopping and restarting the engine the power loss issue would disappear. After filter changes and tearing my hair out over at least 12 months plus, I found your thread regarding the 12v power wire bypass ecu mod, so having then reconnected NMEA module to the 12v bus bar under the dash - no further alarms and no power loss issues since - beers to you mate, thanks again
                Last edited by ruger01; 12-15-2017, 10:04 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

Excellent reaearch work to find that!

The issue only affected a few motors, seems that we both drew the short straws! Anyway the fix works!

Comment

Working...
                  X