2011 df60a - overheating at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 df60a - overheating at idle

Hey all - I have a 2011 df60a with about 70 hours on it per the tach.

Several months ago, I was having overheat issues. Via this very forum, I learned my impeller was likely bad (it was) and replaced it myself to success (link to that thread below).

While I haven't put a ton of hours on it since the maintenance (maybe 5-7), it purrs like a kitten.

However - I have one lingering problem. I'll be running fine. Then I stop and idle. Not every time - but 3-4 times at idle after running - the beep happens and the temp light comes on. I shut down and wait a short period, then I'm back running again with no problems.

Secondly - when this happens - I also notice that upon restarting the motor, it seems to rev a bit. I tossed it into gear quickly and it clunked once. The second time it happened, I waited a few seconds, and the rev went to normal.

Since the motor is a 2011 and I don't think it's ever had service (aside from my impeller/lube and watching the oil) - I was hoping to make it through this season until winter. But I don't want to damage something as it's clearly not quite 100%.

Curious if anyone knows what this is. BTW - when I did the impeller job, 4 splines were broken but still there - some rubber flakes as well - I kinda put it back together and every major piece was accounted for - so hopefully there's nothing stuck up in the cooling line. Unsure how I'd check?

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...e-stutter.html

When you change the impeller, did you also change the stainless housing? If not, you should have! Although they might look good to the naked eye, even a small curvature or warp (possibly from overheating previously) in that plate will still affect the pump's efficiency so it is wise to replace.

This could well be the reason for it still getting a bit hot as it comes back from cruise revs.

Would also be worth checking the thermostat. Can get a build up of corrosion around there and not open/close properly.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter - yes, I did change the stainless housing and used all the parts that came with the kit, plus cleaned everything before putting it back together.

One shortcut I took - I didn't have any gasket glue - and the way it needs to be assembled, the gasket would fall off without it. I used a few dabs of silicon instead to hold it in place until it was seated.

Since this issue happens at idle, could water be leaking out of the pump vs. cooling the engine because of an unseated gasket? And at speed, water is forced in through the grates helping it which is why I wouldn't notice issues at speed?

Also - when I did this job, rather than test it on the lake, I filled a large tub with water and dunked the outdrive past the horizontal plate.

Strangely, I noticed water coming out the front/middle of the lower unit where you can see the shift rod. I'm only about 50% certain that it was actually coming out from inside - the running motor kicked up water so it was a little hard to tell. But if water is coming out there - perhaps that's no right and the pump is leaking....

Comment

Working...
      X