Cheapest Fuel Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest Fuel Flow

Any suggestions on the cheapest option for fuel flow/used? It's a DF140a (2013). Uses analog Starcraft gauges, speed/tach/gas/trim/4 way idiot light.

The boat has a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI which I now learn will not read engine data so that's out. Have seen the multi-function gauges etc, but between the gauge cost, harness kits etc, it's pretty high $.. No real need for additional data but my last boat had a mini Merc Smartcraft gauge and I really miss the liters per hour and total used since reset..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

There are really only 2 options

1. An in-line fuel flow sensor such as the Lowrance version, but again, you need a display connected to a NMEA2000 network to show the data. Not sure that your current HDI can do that.

2. Suzuki engine interface, and again, the issue is cost by the time you set it up and get a suitable display. Its by far the best option as you get all the fuel data you could ever want plus engine data too.

Or I guess a flowscan gauge, but im not familiar with them.

Comment

I don't believe #1 is required as that would only add to the cost the the DF140 already has the info sitting there..

This Lowrance won't display engine data no mater the source, came with the boat but wish he'd bought next model up

Have to pull the dash this weekend to move a gauge, will see if the NMEA cable from the Suz is up there, but doubt it is. Cables themselves add up to more than I'd prefer to pay and so far I can only find the Suz 2", a Lowrance 2" (which is probably same gauge anyway).

Even found a bluetooth adapter so I can bring it up on my phone, not practical, but at that, the adapter is more than the other options.

Guess I am just looking for a simpler gauge that would still be compatible without having to build an entire N2k setup for hundreds then add a display that in itself is several hundred.. The Smartcraft was pretty basic, no way to program tank size etc, but it was dead accurate and was an excellent resource as long as I totally filled the tank (then hit reset) each time.

Kinda thought since the Smartcraft is a 2002 that by the time my 2013 Suzuki was made, this type of thing would be common place..

Comment

Even a Smartcraft gauge that gets you fuel flow/fuel used data isnt cheap if you buy/install it separately from the motor, several hundred $, so my Mercury contacts tell me.

As usual, it always costs more to add stuff later than when you buy the motor!

And these days, many motors are being sold bare, so you then choose the gauge kit/setup you wnat to make up the package.

In your case, the display you've got is the issue because it cant display engine data.

The cheapest Suzuki solution would be:

Suzuki interface cable approx $130
        SDS adapter cable - make your own parts cost about $25
        NMEA2000 starter kit $70
        Suzuki 2" SMIS display $210

You could pick up a LMF200 cheaper, and it will do the job. You can even flash its software so it becomes a SMIS display and shows the Suzuki fault codes etc.

Not really any other way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
          You can even flash its software so it becomes a SMIS display and shows the Suzuki fault codes etc.
          How is that done? I have a 2004 DF 50 hooked to a Lowrance HDS7 Touch - I get whatever data is available from the engine and am satisfied and have kept the original Suzuki tach for alarms. So the set up is great BUT, it would be nice to have the capability to see fault codes if one pops up.

Ray
          Ray
          2004 DF50

Comment

I think youve misunderstood me, Ray. You dont seem to have a Lowrance LMF display on your network, do you? So this wont apply to your current setup from what you've said.

Anyway, what I am saying is that if you have a Lowrance LMF400 or LMF 200 digital engine data display on your Suzuki network, you can update its software to turn it into a Suzuki SMIS display and it will then show all the Suzuki fault codes and alarms.

Its simple to do this - but you must also have a Lowrance or Simrad MFD on your network that has a SD card slot.

Then, all you do is download the Suzuki SMIS software onto the SD card, pop it into the MFD, turn the network on, and in the files menu, find the SD card, highlight the SMIS software dile, and select upload! Bingo, done!

The only other thing is that you can only update one display at a time, you MUST disconnect any other SMIs or LMF displays if you have more than one of them on your network. So it means disconnect all bar one, update that one, then disconnect it, connect another, update it, and so on until all are done.

Oh, and one final thing, there are several versions of the SMIS software available, you need to select the correct one that will communicate properly with your model engine and the interface version youre running.

Comment

Moonlighter, you are correct, no LMF 200 or 400 - but I thought I would ask anyway in case I could use the HDS Touch units to get the codes - no problem, I don't anticipate getting fault codes anyway!!! Thanks for the reply.
              Ray
              2004 DF50

Comment

Working...
              X