Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 300 temperature

Sorry in advance for the long post.

Twin 2017 300s. Just had the 300 hr service completed. The starboard engine appeared to be overheating (or at least hotter than the port engine). Was running 5000 rpm. Port engine was at 140, stbd at 158. Then at 970 rpm port at 142, stbd at 165. Peeing strong, waterflow looked good.

Mechanic pulled the foot and redid the impeller/water pump work. Next test run was a bit better, but the stbd engine still runs hotter than the port.
    Prior to the service, both engines would stay within a couple of degrees, but never got over 140 unless I really ran hard. Getting to 150 was difficult.

Mechanic pulled the thermostats. One may have been inserted at a strange angle, tough to tell. Both were open when we pulled them and closed properly once they cooled off. Replaced both.

Now the stbd engine runs at 154 degrees consistently at cruise, and never topped 155 at near WOT. But, the port engine continues to run (what appears to me to be) very cool. I read the thermos won’t open until they reach 145 degrees. This engine never hit 145 after running at 5000 rpm for 10 minutes or more.

After more research, it appears to me that the stbd engine is registering a more believable temp than the port. I’m wondering:

-- did something “reset” the stbd temp sensor to get it working better? If so, how can I recalibrate the port temp sensor?
    -- what is the normal working temp range for Suzuki 300s? I read 145 to 165 when cruising. With overheat protection to limp mode at 190. Hard to find this info online, but will dig out the manual.

Any input and ideas most appreciated. (Side note: The dealer/mechanic went above and beyond to resolve this apparent issue. Spent most of this morning troubleshooting.)

just a question: did you happen to look at the temperature rating on the thermostats?
    there are two different ones with temp limits about what you are talking about.
    the other thing you might consider would be to use one on the laser type temp devices to see if there really is that wide a difference after the engines get warmed up

Comment

Working...
    X