DF140 stumbled to idle on acceleration, did not stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 stumbled to idle on acceleration, did not stall

This problem happened to me years ago, but I seem to have gone quite a while without it until just this past Saturday when it happened again.

The engine:

2003 DF140 (with updated engine holder, replaced 2 or 3 years ago due to corroded original holder), 472 hours.

The scenario:

11:30 a.m. - launched boat, engine started on the first turn without touching the fuel bulb, idled for about 15 minutes away from the ramp and out of the no wake zone, then proceeded to cruise for a solid 60 minutes at 5000-5500 RPM, with zero issues whatsoever.

12:30 p.m. - arrived at restaurant, tied off, shut down.

1:40 p.m. - loaded the boat, started on the first turn, untied and motored about 5 minutes out of the no wake zone.

1:45 p.m. - upon reaching end of the no wake zone, opened throttle and planed out, 5500 RPM for about 10 seconds, motor shuts itself back down to idle but does not quit. Ohhhhkay. Pulled throttle back, moved aside for a boat to pass, ready, power down and back up on plane, 5000 RPM for about 5-7 seconds, motor returns to idle again, does not quit. Wait about 15 seconds, try again, this time it does quit. I check the fuel bulb and it is spongy but not empty, give it a few pumps and restart. I want to say the same problem happened one more time, and then maybe on the 4th attempt I planed out and kept the power around 4000 RPM and it did fine, after a few minutes pushed it up to 5000-5500 and no problems.

2:30 p.m. - arrived at our next stop, tied up and left motor off for at least 2 hours.

4:30-5:00 p.m. - left the dock, had about a 10 minute no wake zone, throttle up and absolutely no issues for the 60+ minute ride back to the ramp.

So, any ideas? As a fairly mechanically inclined operator it sure felt like a fuel supply/low fuel pressure problem, but with it not being consistent I'm stumped. Fuel pump? Low pressure filter? High pressure filter? Fuel/water separator filter? My maintenance history is a little fuzzy over the years, I replace the water separator every year so that one is just a few months old; I know both engine mounted filters have been replaced - low pressure probably two years ago, high pressure probably 5 years ago, and don't think I've ever replaced the fuel pump. But again, if it were that I would expect this issue to be more consistent.

Happy to hear any opinions or ideas!
    Last edited by Auburn02; 08-26-2019, 10:48 AM.

Everyone must be just as stumped as I am! Planning to use the boat again this weekend, curious if there's anything in particular I should check ahead of time or be prepared to check on the water should it happen again.

Comment

Tank Vent, Fuel Line air leak, then I would suspect Fuel Regulator in the VST

Comment

Working...
      X