DF2.5 vicious kickback snatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF2.5 vicious kickback snatch

I have a new Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke. It has dreadful kickback on the pull cord if it doesn't start. It is the hardest to start outboard I have ever had.(I have owned 5 small ones over the years). It backfires out of the carb and tries to go in reverse!

My wife has been unable to start it and now refuses to use it and wants me to send it back. We have gone back to using a 5hp Mariner 2 stroke made in 1980. But this is too heavy for our tender and to be lifted off into our yacht.

I have "Googled" extensively and found I am not unique in having this problem, the Suzuki dealer said he had never heard of it, (over the phone I could sense his nose growing). Trouble is I am now 300 miles away from where I bought it.

Technique has some effect but it is difficult to give a really hard pull when in a small inflatable. If my wife cant start it it is useless to me.

I have checked the timing with a timing light and it is correct, the marks line up and the ignition advances as the revs increase.

Is this just what a small 4 stroke is like? Never had a problem with any lawnmower. Is it faulty in some way? Will it get better when it has been used a bit?

Would be very interested to get comments from any other DF2.5 owners.

Thanks

BC

Unfit for purpose

Managed to speak to the local Suzuki dealer. He was very helpful. In his view the DF2.5 is not fit for purpose, apparently they all snatch back. He blamed the EPA regulations and went on to say that they always remove the blanking plug over the idle jet and make the mixture a little richer. He recommended that I send it back if possible as it will never be any good.

He tries not to sell these motors, the Mariner 3.5 is a little better but still dangerous. He went to say that you need to buy the 4HP Mariner to get an easy to start engine.

All very disappointing.

Comment

Try backing the initial timing off a few degrees toward TDC and see what happens. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a answer to this issue, I think your local dealer just wants to sell you a mariner!!!
      Last edited by mmanuel; 08-09-2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Suzuki DF2.5 rubbish

There is no timing adjustment. These engines are rubbish.

Comment

I suggest you find a new Suzuki dealer, one that knows what they're doing. Or, one that is interested in customer service rather than blowing people off with BS.

Plenty of those are sold around the world and dont experience such issues.

Comment

Working...
          X