DF140 Kill Switch Diagnostics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Kill Switch Diagnostics

My oil change indicator began blinking yesterday. I went through the reset procedure and it did not reset. During this process I discovered that I can start and run my motor without the lanyard engaged. So I pulled out the kill switch and it has one green and one black wire. The black wire was connected to a wiring connection and the green wire was not connected. Down through the middle of the wiring connector is a black wire from the ignition key switch. On the other end of the wiring connector and diagonal to the kill switch black wire is a black wire connected to the wiring connector and runs down and out of the center console. I would have thought that this wiring connector would need the one black wire from the key ignition switch in the middle and then 4 wires, one green and black from the kill switch and one black and green from the motor or motor wiring harness. Can anyone provide me with steps of diagnosing this problem?

I would think, maybe incorrectly, that if I check continuity on the kill switch when I pull on the button the continuity will read and when I release the button the continuity will not register. If this is incorrect please let me know. Nonetheless, if it is not a bad switch, I need help chasing down and fixing the other wiring problems for the kill switch.

Update - I just checked the continuity on the switch and it does not beep regardless of whether the button is depressed or pulled out. Which I assume means I need to replace the kill switch.

Still seeking guidance about why the green wire was not connected, where the black wire on the other side is going to be terminated, should the two black wires from the kill switch and the one heading out of the center console be in line within the wiring connector (or position does not matter),and is there another wire that is missing from the motor side or elsewhere for the wiring connector.
    Last edited by Aztecrider; 09-14-2019, 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional Information

different engine but would believe wire colors are the same
    green wire should connect with the green wire on the ignition switch wire that comes out of the harness
    the black connects to the black coming from the ignition switch black wire and then on to the wiring harness

it appears from the way the schematic is drawn the kill switch is "open" with the lanyard in place and the switch closes without it

remember- black is the ground wire
    Last edited by artdf175; 09-14-2019, 08:04 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Trying to post on this site

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewj View Post
        Trying to post on this site
        Hi Andrew

go to the main page

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...rd-parts-forum

Just under the red box for Topics there is a pale blue box for + New Topic. Click on that and go from there.

Comment

Working...
        X