Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 df140 route of cooling water

Hi,

I have an 05 DF140, and as I was changing the anodes at the rectifier I noticed that the head of the bolt that holds the anode onto the anode cover was missing at the lower location of the rectifier. There was no evidence of corrosion on the end of the bolt stud, it's SS. I cleaned off the little bit of deposits in that area and then vacuumed out the ports, but the bolt head was not found. My concern is that the head of the bolt is somewhere in the path of the cooling water, and restricting the flow of cooling water, which I have been seeing some signs of. Does anyone know where that bolt head might wind up along the cooling water path, and how I could access and remove it.?

Thanks!
    Robert

I don't know if this is going to help
    it seems on my 175 that those anodes are in a fairly large cavity
    being that these are SS bolts you are not going to be able to pick it out with a magnet it will be difficult to pull it out even if you can find it.
    If there is no corrosion on the bolt that came out with the anode, I would find it difficult to believe the bolt head just fell off.. it takes a significant amount of torque to break a SS bolt..
    it would be my guess, and only a guess, that if the bolt head somehow broke off it would be at the bottom of the cavity.
    now explain the cooling problem..
    and when was the last time you replaced the impeller and associated parts?
    Art

Comment

Art,

I've been occupied elsewhere, so just now getting back to this. Thanks for the info. I just removed the rectifier to see if I could find that bolt head back there in that cavity, and no luck. I suspect that you are correct and it's not in there, but not 100% sure.

Okay, so the issue I'm having is an intermittent stream from the tell tale. Here recently, it will be fine for a bit, and then all of a sudden go to almost nothing which leads to the engine overheating and the alarm going off! I will normally reverse the engine after I trim the motor out of the water to inspect the grate for weeds, and after a good reverse it begins showing a good stream again, yet all these things could be unrelated and I'm overlooking something.

So far, I have replaced the anodes and cleaned away minor salt deposits. I installed a new impeller and ss base plate. I did not replace the pump housing as it didn't come with the kit. It does have some groves in the pump housing, but I didn't think that they deep enough to kill the pressure, and I'm having an intermittent issue anyhow. I pulled open the thermostat, not much corrosion, put it in some water and warmed it up, and say that it opened. I opened up the pressure relief valve, it seems to be fine, so I put that back in. I tried the vinigar rinse. I didn't notice any effect, but the passages seem to be fairly clean and free of deposits. I tried spraying water down through the thermostat hole, and I tried blowing compressed air through the back of the tell tale, they seemed clear.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment. Due to it being an intermittent issue, I sure thought that it was going to be that bolt head that was washing over in front of a water passage at times and just out of the way at others. Again, I'm not sure of where I'm going from here, but I know this has to be fixed! Any ideas?

Thanks!
      Robert

Comment

Replace the pump housing. Although they may appear OK any small perfection can adverself affect water flow.

While this may not be the issue in every case, it is a definite contributor to many cases of poor water flow/overheating.

Now, is the intermittent water dlow evident when the engine is on the flusher attachment, or when the engine is in a drum or water or indeed when the boat is in the water? If it is when the engine is on the flusher, change to the old style, small round flusher and it should markedly improve - these are the flushers my Suzuki guy uses exclusively on all motors and recommends.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-04-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Intermittent while running in the water. Seems like it takes a lot longer to build pressure and come out of the tell tale than it used to, and then when I'm driving it will be pumping perfect, throwing water 10' or so to the side and then all of a sudden go down to a dribble. That's when I power down, maybe reverse it a bit and then it starts peeing again.

in the course of seconds, it will go from pumping like a champ to dribbling down the back of the motor, and then again, at times, it will be fine for a 30 minute ride, but then again I'm normally only running in the 3K range normally.

Comment

Resolution of Problem?

Hi

I have a similar situation. Did you figure out the issue. Mine will blow little puffs of smoke out the pee hole from time to time.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X