X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Suggestions/Ideas Wanted and Appreciated

A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgD.jpg

Hi Guys

Please i need your help/Views re some issues im concerned about .
    As you can see from the 1st 2 photos outboard seem a bit low installed. Agree? From what i was searching in internet i think i will raise height to 1 or 2 holes up. What are your views? Dealer confirmed that it is correctly installed but to my surprise came across to 2 other boats exactly the same as mine and OB are adjusted higher. As i have to pull OB out i will be renting an Engine hoist in order to work securely. Is it ok? Also re the 3 rd photo( Inside bilge area where OB bolts are) i was thinking of putting a plate stainless or aluminium or else i attach some marine plywood in order for bolts to tension with the plate or wood so that bolts do not make direct contact with transom. Views? Is it better to order new sets of Mounting bolts or i can use the same ones? Ob is fairly new 130 hours. When installing will it be ok to put Lifeseal life caulk in bolts or do you recommend something else ( better) or 3M 4200? Will scrape the old silicone that attaches OB with the outside of the transom do you suggest to add something between OB and transom or by putting the recommended silicone/caulk would be enough? Re 4 th picture i think i will install a stainless plate between the bolts is it necessary?
    As you are aware before doing the job i appreciate your kind honest help as im not that technically inclined but i prefer doing a good job or else dont do nothing and leave everything as it is. Your honest suggestions are more than welcome Thanks a lot Guys. Bless.

Have you taken it out and gotten on plane and looked to see where that plate is? Sitting idle in the water, I don't think that is what you look at. It's the cavitation plate's location on plane. You should be seeing the top of the plate, it should not be hidden in the prop wash.

Comment

https://youtu.be/vMeJbgT2mfE

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
        Have you taken it out and gotten on plane and looked to see where that plate is? Sitting idle in the water, I don't think that is what you look at. It's the cavitation plate's location on plane. You should be seeing the top of the plate, it should not be hidden in the prop wash.
        Briscoe i sent a video before this reply to see how it performed in water.What U Think?
        https://youtu.be/W0N7BKMxO6Q https://youtu.be/vMeJbgT2mfE
        Last edited by Karnic; 09-26-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

First vid looks like one hole up would probably do it. Second vid looks like it might take two holes.

I think your idea of a plate for the bolts is a good one. Or at least some big SS washers.
          Last edited by Harper; 09-27-2019, 10:16 AM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Did you read the 'Sticky' at the top of this page re the engine height?

Bolts --I think your instincts are correct
            seems those buts and washers are small enough to give the fiberglass a fair amount of stress over time.
            inside the hull a section of Marine plywood should give the fiberglass the support it should have
            the top side as Harper suggested some oversized stainless washers will help distribute the stress
            Sealant- the best you can buy
            new books are not needed with the exception if they are not long enough after putting some correct spacers/supports in place
            Art

Comment

Working...
            X