1987 suzuki dt65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 suzuki dt65

I have a great running older dt65.I have had different problems though with the oil injection system lately and am told that I need a new oil pump. I would like to know if I could have the oil injection system removed and sensors removed with no problems with different lubrication in the motor. I wouldn't mind premixing 50/1, seeing as how I don't use that much gas for my needs or running. Can I remove this ok without harming the engine and keep on motering?? This would make life good again. Thanks, for your response.

What were all the problems with the oil system that led to needing a new pump?

Comment

87 suzuki dt65

The mechanics have put in 2-oil flo sensors. One oil reservoir float system,3 inline check valves. The oil reservoir at first was taken off and all lines to make sure all were clean and clear. All was good. Grounds and wiring was checked also. The first time the marine store Aquatech in Palm Bay, Fl. had it for 24 days. Next time the dealer had it for another 3 weeks. Two years ago I started using ethanol free gas so I could stop cleaning the carbs. That has worked out. Now the red lights are coming on again for the oil. In 2 days I am going to take it all off to eliminate any more shop time This will make for better times ahead and more fishing and diving on my little 15' Whaler. I can disconnect the sensors and keep on motoring!! So, please is there any problems with doing such? I cant afford a 4 stroke and this Suzuki motor still has great compression. Thanks

Comment

Is the motor in limp mode when the oil lights come on? (max 3000rpm)

How much oil is in the tank when the lights come on?

I'm sure your pump is fine but there's nothing wrong with premix if you don't idle or troll a lot, what's the serial number, I'll take a look at the schematic.
        Last edited by mphelle8vld; 08-15-2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

87 suzuki dt65

The oil tank is full. The id # is VG06502604181. Clean, rust free motor. It was in fresh water till I corrupted it to the salt life 5 years ago. I have been told the oil injection system is pretty much a tank or bullet proof. It is coming off shortly though. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Is the motor in limp mode when the oil lights come on? (max 3000rpm)

The motor is an 86 but must be a VH model produced later in that year. Be sure to run the motor on premix before stripping off the injection system, there's a lot of raw fuel in the lines, bulb, fuel pump, and carb bowls.

Comment

The beep and brief light would start while running 3/4 throttle at first, spaced maybe 5 minutes apart. Then upon slowing, would go to more frequent spaced. It would then shut it down. I associated this with getting hot. The green lights on the Suzuki flow gauge were still good. A new impeller had been put in 3 months ago. Yesterday, I took the tank off and lines loose and plugged them all. Drained the gas lines and filters and mixed the new 50/1 and pumped it to the carbs. Don't know how to handle the unplugged oil wire connections or the wires to the oil gauge, besides taping them. I thought that I would run it to see what bells or whatever comes on now, if any? If not right then seek help at the local Suzuki tech. shop. Any advice on wiring would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Comment

The warning system would not shut down the motor, only reduce rpm's to 3000. It sounds like it's overheating/seizing, did this problem start after the impeller change?

I would check the compression.

Comment

87 suzuki dt65

The motor did go in limp mode the first time, but had died also. The oil red lights and buzzer came on. Replaced the different parts, as mentioned. Tried it again. It ran longer, but the same results. Motor felt hot and Suzuki water flow gauge was still in green. I took it home and got a compression gauge from Auto zone. Compression was 112, 115 & 115. So I am good I think. I have all oil lines off and ready to go try it but still do not know about everything I disconnected and what else to do before I have to go drop it off at the dealer where it will sit for awhile due to the season now. Any thoughts on the wiring that I disconnected or what else to do with this issue on oil?

Comment

Your motor doesn't have a water flow sensor, it's a float switch located at the middle cylinder that only indicates the water level in the block to that point. Again, did this problem arise after the impeller replacement?

The oil warning system only tells you if the reservoir level is low (which you know is not the case) or if there is a blockage in the supply line/blocked filter in the flow sensor (which the "experts" have either cleaned or replaced twice). It's possible that the warning module is malfunctioning but it wouldn't explain the overheating and dying.

Run it again, keep an eye on the tell tale stream and any signs of overheating.

Comment

Yes, this problem started before the water pump replacement. The 2 red oil lights on the Suzuki water flow gauge which has green lights, blinked and then went to a closer mode. After, the motor shut off. I threw out the anchor and chilled for 45 minutes. I did this after pulling the cowling off and the motor seemed hot. I did not want to burn my motor up. I motored to the ramp 1 mile away at a slower speed. It died again as I slowed for the dock with red oil lights coming on again.I had not put in a water pump in 2 years, so I decided to do this first along with fixing the other oil issue. Today, I pulled the thermostat of 2 years and think that it could be the simple issue in which I overlooked. It had looked abused . I flush it good and don't mess around much in the river. I will put in a new one tomorrow. This had nothing to do with the oil lights though. I will try to run it, after this is put in and update you. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X