How to install a Tilt/Trim Gauge to a 2007 DF175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install a Tilt/Trim Gauge to a 2007 DF175

I have a 2007 Suzuki DF175 with a Suzuki Engine Interface cable connected to a Garmin 7600xsv and a 4" SMIS. My Engine Interface cable software version does not show tilt and trim.

Is it possible to install a Tilt and Trim gauge with a analog gauge? If yes, how is the installation done? I'm still using my Suzuki analog gauges in conjunction with the engine interface cable.
    Last edited by Zuki175; 09-26-2019, 11:02 PM.

If you connect up the 2 pin plug from the trim n tilt on the engine to the 2 pin plug on the interface cable, you will get trim n tilt data to the SMIS and Garmin.

Comment

As Moonlighter said, you should be able to read the trim both on your 4" MFD and your Garmin. I have an '07 DF150, the 4" MFD, and a Garmin GPSMAP 546s. Both show the trim. One thing to check, when I bought the motor and boat new, I didn't notice that the plastic actuator arm on the trim sender had been broken off, so initially I thought that I was not getting any trim displayed, either. And I wasn't, of course, but not because the interface wasn't working.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thank you Moonlighter and Harper for sharing your knowledge....again.

I still could not locate the trim/tilt connector. I was searching for a open plug and couldn't find it.

I did additional searching on the web and finally located the trim/tilt connector. It appears the tilt/trim wire colors on the connector are Black and a White with a Yellow stripe. I found a connector that had those color wires that was connected to a plug that goes to the back of the ECM. It was located under the ECM on the bottom right. The wires were very short so it was difficult to disconnect. I plugged the tilt/trim connector on the Engine Interface Cable connector and the 4" SMIS now displays the Tilt/Trim.

Now I have two other troubleshooting questions. I can't seem to find the tilt/trim on my Garmin 7610xsv. I've read the manual and scrolled through every tab for the Engine/Fuel displays. Also looked through the Info and Systems tabs for no luck. How do I get the Tilt/Trim gauge to appear on the Garmin MFD?

Next question is how do I reset the tilt/trim on the SMIS to read 0 at the neutral (center) line on the gauge? I have the motor tucked all the way down and followed the instructions on resetting. When the motor raises to the neutral (center) line, it reads 32. Is that normal or should it read zero? My last trim/tilt was a analog so I'm new to this digital style of read out.

Comment

As I said, I have the GPDMAP 546s, which I have setup to show an analog tim gauge. So I'm not really familiar with the 7610xsv. But I looked it up on Garmin's website and in the manual for your gauge it shows this picture of the gauge with the trim shown on the right side. i can only assume that this matches how you could set up your display (of course, this is shown set up for two engines).

GUID-5D6DDB38-8A4E-4446-AE97-1590C9A00655-high.jpg

It doesn't appear to show percentages, but that might be possible. The calibration would have to be done with your Suzuki MFD, then the readout on the Garmin should correspond to zero to full trim. On the online manual the instructions were on pg 43. Also I've found Garmin to be very helpful on the phone with any problem in setting up your display.
          Last edited by Harper; 10-13-2019, 04:35 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

In calibrating my trim via the MFD, I set full down (not "neutral") as the 0% position, and then right at the point where the motor transitions from trim to tilt at 100%. I don't think it ncessarlily matters exactly how you do the calibration, as long as you know what trim position each percentage readout represents.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Harper

I did a bit more searching on the Garmin MFD and stumbled upon the option to change to a preset layout in the Engine/Fuel menu. I selected the layout you have up above and lo and behold, I now have a Tilt and Trim gauge on my display.

The MFD and the SMIS Tilt and Trim gauge automatically in sync with each other without making any adjustments. I selected the Tilt and Trim to display a digital readout which now shows the percentage on both units.

Many Thank!
              Zuke175
              Last edited by Zuki175; 10-19-2019, 12:43 AM.

Comment

That's good news. Glad you found the solution. Thanks for the update.

And just for clarification, when I mentioned calibrating the trim gauges via the MFD, I was referring to the Suzuki 4" MFG (SMIS), not the Garmin MFD. I just noticed that my reference was a little confusing.
                Last edited by Harper; 10-19-2019, 08:43 AM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                X