Engine Interface 2.30 vs SMIS 2.0 on a DF300 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Interface 2.30 vs SMIS 2.0 on a DF300 2008

I am currently upgrading the gauges and interface on my 2008 df300 from old style european nmea system/interface box to interface cable /4" and 2" SMIS. I happened to get some used SMIS gauges and an interface cable for a very decent price from a engine repair shop. I have hooked it all up at home and obtained the following from my garmin screen:

Interface Cable:
    Model 3.0.0
    Software version 2.3.0 RR31D

Smis 4"
    Model 1.0.0
    Software version 2.0.0 RZ396

Smis 2"
    Model 1.0.0
    Software version 2.0.0 RZ452

Will the sw versions listed above will work well together and with my DF300 from 2008 or will i need to upgrade anything? if so what versions will you recommend me to use for my setup, and will i be able to use a new Simrad go 7 screen for the upgrade?

many thanks!

Andreas

Interface version 2.30 is ideal for a 2008 year engine. So well done on obtaining one of those rare cables!

I think the gauge software versions should be fine too, and should all work together. They are all from the same era.

The Simrad GO7 will also be perfect for configuring the network and displaying engine data. It should also be fine to use for any software changes should they be needed at a later time. You cannot configure the network or the interface with the Garmin, you have to use the Simrad.

Once you get it all connected up and configured, you will really like the info that you get in the Simrad TripIntel feature!

Details on how to configure the interface and network are in the paper attached to the sticky thread on Suzuki networks in the top section of this forum. If after reading that you are not sure, please come back and ask.

Comment

Thanks so much for quick reply One more question: To show fuel tank level on the gauges can i use whatever N2K fuel level device or will i need the lowrance/suzuki module?

Comment

Use the Lowrance/Suzuki/Simrad fluid level device. Any other brand and you cant configure it.

Comment

One more question, i have gotten to the point when i have connected all 4 gauges 2x4" and 2x2" and the engine interface to the 2008 DF300. Both 2" gauges "blank" out after 2-3 ignition key turns, the only way to get them back is a hard reset pressing the up while turnig the ignition. Both 4" gauges work fine. Does this indicate faulty gauges or can this be a software issue?

Thx in advance Moonlighter!

Comment

Sounds like a problem with the network layout, and/or network power supply. The gauges get their power from their connection to the network, so if the network power supply fails, the gauges will go blank.

Can you confirm that the network layout is as follows: terminating resistor on end T piece, then T’s connected top to top like this TTTTT and another terminating resistor on the open top of the end T. All devices such as the gauges and the interface cable and power node are connected to the leg (vertical part of the T’s.)

THE NETWORK MUST BE SET OUT LIKE THAT OR THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS.

Network power supply + is commonly connected into a spare power wire from the engine gauge harness. Negative wire goes to the boats neg busbar behind the dash. Check those connections.

If the problem persists, try connecting the + wire for the network power supply to a separate + power source that is switched such as a spare + from your switch panel.

Try that and see how you go.

Comment

Thx again for the quick reply. The network is wired correctly in this order:

Terminator
              T with LMF 400, Model 1.0.0, SW 2.0.0 RZ396
              T with LMF 400, Model 1.0.0, SW 2.0.0 RZ396
              T with LMF 200, Model 1.0.0, SW 2.0.0 RZ396
              T with LMF 200, Model 1.0.0, SW 2.0.0 RZ396
              T with Power (both + and ground collected from engine harness deutsch connector, see picture)
              T with Garmin GPSmap 4012
              T empty right now for fuel interface to be connected
              T with engine interface, model 3.0.0, sw 2.30 RR31D
              Terminator

What is strange is that sometimes the gauges blank out, when they first blank they have to be reset. Sometimes before they blank they invert the color. Other times they work 2-5 cycles before the blank out. It is only the 2" that blank out the 4"ers work fine.

I will try out the tips tomorrow asap. From the layout descrbied above do you have any more thoughts? Could it be that the power from engine harness is no good?

Skjermbilde 2020-03-29 kl. 17.50.02.png

Comment

Yes its possible that the network power supply from the connection to the engine harness may be faulty.

Another possibility is that the T piece that the network power is connected to could be faulty - since you have a spare T in the network you could swap it to there and test again. I would remove any unused T’s from the network too.

That is why I suggested changing the power supply to another switched source such as from your switch panel. Or, even a temporary connection direct to the positive busbar, if that solves the problem then you can add it to a separate switch or trouble shoot the harness connection.

Comment

Okay i see, i will try the swap with the empty T, and try the direct busbar trick. It would have been nice to end up with engine switch on power in the end: Some thoughts on the suggestions:

If it is the power T that fails, isnt i strange that 2x LMF400 and engine interface works as they should while the 2x lmf200 operate strange and blank out?

If it is the engine power that fails isnt it strange that everything else works fine as described above? Could it be a low power issue and that the lmf200s draw to much s t these blank out while the other stuff on the network is more power efficient and thus maintain operation?

Can this be a sw issue or is there no probability that this might be the case? As both gauges behave strange this was one of my first thoughts

Thx!

Comment

Have to think about that .... have a look at which T’s the gauges that are blanking out are on. if you think that there may be a bad connection in the T’s there could try swapping around.

A dodgy power supply can definitely cause strange network problems, and it may be that those devices attached closer to the power supply T might work and others further away, not.

Its hard to say if it might be a software issue. If the suggestions dont help maybe consider just removing the 2 x 200’s altogether?

I guess you could try updating them to the current software version which is V 2.2.

Can be downloaded from here. http://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki

Once you have tried a few things, turn the key on, turn the network power on, and go into the Simrad menu and do an auto select for data sources. Menu/system/network/device list and pick the option to auto select or auto configure.

Comment

Thx again for quick reply, i will try to swap the Ts around and change the power. Lets hope i works. I will report back what happens.

I dont have a navico display but hopefully i can get this to work without sw upgrade or autoconfigure

Comment

Hello again, i have now tried a lot of differnt approaches to troubleshoot the two 2" gauges. First i changed the Ts around no succsess . Then i swapped the power supply source, no success. Then i made a small network only consisting of terminators, power, and one gauge. The same happens thing happens with both gauges, they works for a few on/off cycles, then they blank out or sometimes they invert the colors before finally blank out after 2-10 on/off cycles in total. Both 4" gauges work fine, engine interface works fine, fuel sensor works fine, garmin gpsmap unit works fine.

What to do next?I guess a software update? I will have to get hold a second hand old screen. Will the HDS 5x or HDS7? Will the GLOBALMAP 5300 or 8200 work? Can i use any navico screen with n2k connection? What is the easiest?

Comment

Software update can be done by HdS 5x or HDS7. The Lowrance models older than HDS have very limited NMEA2000 capabilities and probably wont cut it for software updates.

the link Igave earlier has both the current sw and a link to where earlier versions can be downloaded to a PC.

Its also possible that the 200’s are simply faulty.....

Comment

Hmmm, i really hope they are not faulty, do you believe that is the case? Have you seen many faulty ones over the years?

I will try the software update anyway and do one gauge conected to the network at a time as i have read in many other threads. Can i prepare all the three softwares i will need for the 400s the 200s and the engine interface on the same SD card and then choose which file to apply to to whatever i have connected Or will i need three cards with different files?

Comment

You can put all sw updates on the one card.

However as you noted it is recommended that you update one device at a time, which means removing the other same devices form the network while you do each one. If multiple copies of the same device are on the network when a sw update for that model device is attempted, the network will most likely crash. Hence do one at a time.

You have to remember that those LMF200’s are getting very old now. They do sometimes fail.

I recommend that you change one thing at a time and then retest.

Comment

Working...
                              X