Suzuki Multi-Function Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Multi-Function Gauge

Hello- I own a DF250AP with digital gauge. I have a Humminbird 788ci HD DI. I wired my GPS signal from my HB to my Standard Horizon VHF radio and it now operates as it should by showing nav data. I would like to use that same GPS signal to bare wire into the NMEA connector on the back of the digital gauge. (I connected the NMEA cable to the back of the gauge, stripped the wires on the opposite end and used the blue and white wires) I used the same wires as I used for the VHF and connected but nothing happened. Is there a menu on the digital gauge that needs have a selection made to accept the GPS data from the HB? Am I using the incorrect wires?

There are several digital Suzuki gauges, but none of them, to my knowledge, accepts NMEA0183 input.

The NMEA input on all digital Suzuki gauges that I am familiar with is ONLY NMEA2000. NMEA2000 does not work like 0183 that connects one device directly to the other as per your VHF connection.

NMEA2000 MUST BE CONNECTED VIA A NMEA2000 backbone. There is no other way. Devices attach to the network, not direct to each other. They communicate with each other via the network. There is no bare wire connections on NMEA2000, it is all done via cables and T pieces.

So first, you need to figure out of your particular Humminbird model outputs NMEA2000 signals to a network. Many of them don’t. Check your owners manual or the company website.

If it does, Then you need to buy a network starter kit (about $70) install it, and connect both the Humminbird and the Suzuki gauge to the network. You will need to buy an extra network T piece because the kit only comes with 2, and you will need 3 T’s - one each for the gauge, the Humminbird, and power.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-19-2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah that Humminbird only has 0183 output. Louie56, even if you found what you thought might be the correct wires, the two NMEA standards are not compatible, They don't speak the same language. The coding is altogether different.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Great explanation- thank you. Now, with that said, what is the most economical way of getting a gps signal to that Suzuki gauge?

Comment

Look around for a GPS module or GPS receiver with NMEA 2000 output,. They'll run $200-300. Garmin GPS19x NMEA2000 looks like it can be had for around $200 at several places.They all just plug in to your NMEA 2K backbone.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
          X