New member - first Suzuki outboard on project boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - first Suzuki outboard on project boat

I recently picked up a 1988 Allison XTB21 which appears to have had a rough life. I bought the boat with the intentions of restoring it and installing a new power plant. Boat currently has 1987 DT200 for power and from what I can tell is in decent running condition (compression between 110 and 115 on all cylinders).

I have been trying to find information about this motor and there is very little available. I figured someone here might know of its' reputation and performance opinions.

The SN is 20001 704527.

I have looked up the number in the charts and that's how I determined it to be an 87 model but I am confused from there. I find no other model identification.

I found an old ad from a previous owner who had listed this motor as a DT200SS which I'm pretty sure never existed. However, I have seen that there was an anniversary edition that year but I can't find any information on the differences between it and the stock motor. The motor I have does have two plugs per cylinder which I'm not sure would have been available in 87. I know the Exante came out the following year which did have the dual plug set-up. I also know the DT150SS was around then so the heads were available.

Does anyone know if 1987 model year had a DT200 model which may have been upgraded similar to the DT150SS but not listed as an SS?

Also, if anyone owned this model and/or knows the pro's and con's I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. I am trying to decide if this motor might be worth putting money into (because it is lighter than any current models of equal power and correct for the model year of the boat) or if I should just go ahead and re-power.

Thanks
    Kevin

Looks like they had a 200S model not a ss. Check out this link it list it in the preface and in some of the slides. I want to say the s model was marketed towards bass boats. I see on this sites part page there was a 150ss HP for bass boats with a 15"shaft.
    http://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/...200(87-97).pdf
    Last edited by formula233; 08-29-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by formula233 View Post
      Looks like they had a 200S model not a ss. Check out this link it list it in the preface and in some of the slides. I want to say the s model was marketed towards bass boats. I see on this sites part page there was a 150ss HP for bass boats with a 15"shaft.
      http://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/...200(87-97).pdf
      Thanks you're right, it does appear there was an S model and that might explain the dual plug heads.

I'm going to see if I can come up with more details.

Comment

Working...
      X