DT200 shifting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT200 shifting problem

I recently posted that my DT200 was shifting in and out of gear while in neutral. This is still happening, but today while tuning at the lake
    (on the trailer) I attempted to put it in grear, forward or reverse and it would do neither. The shift linkage moves smooth enough But of course it would jump in and out of both at any given moment. Any coments? Please!

Shift Yoke woes!

Seeing that I can't find anyone near me that had the nuts to tear into the lower unit and diagnose the problem I decided to move ahead and learn by doing. Taking the lower unit apart was strait forward and everything looks to have normal wear. The shiting yoke was broke at the pin so I will replace both and see what happens (29.00$).

Comment

I'm glad you tried it yourself. I assume the part that was broken was the lower y fitting on the lower unit,that the upper rod slides into . Sadly the broken fork may be a result of your problems, not the cause. The upper rod is connected to the shift bellcrank that converts front and back motion of the throttle to an up/down movement. The long shifter rod then pushes down or pulls up on the fork to make fwd or reverse. I have had similar issues on my 225. When cold it would not go into reverse cleanly, it would grind and clunk in and out of gear but would work ok in june-aug when warm outside. That fork rod goes thru a triangular seal plate with 3 bolts on it. It is spring loaded to neutral I have not had the guts to take off the plate and remove the assembly from the lower unit. Make sure you can manually shift between the 3 ranges , it may take about 10 lbs of force to move that rod in and out. It goes a little easier if someone turns the driveshaft in a clockwise direction. If you can't shift, your problem is inside The website" brownspoint.com " has a very good parts catalog and shows how all the parts go together good luck with it..I will work on mine in the springtime

Comment

Crossing my fingers

I'm hoping the yoke is broken because of the knuckle head before me tried forcing it in gear while the propshaft was'nt turning ( I only asume this by the way he was showing me how all the levers were very stiff when I was thinking of buying the boat.) He was arm wrestling the high idle lever while telling me that it works "fine"!
        I've got the lower unit apart and don't see any unusual wear anywhere so I'm optimistic that it'll be good. If not! More parts I suppose. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
        X