SMIS to NMEA200 interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMIS to NMEA200 interface

Hi all, I've just connected a SMIS interface from my DF115 to my Garmin GPSMAP plotter & . . . nothing happened.

I can't see any configuration that I need to change or add on the chartplotter.

As I test I connected the SMIS cable (with built in dongle) to the NMEA bus, not connected to the engine. In my mind the NMEA bus should power the 'dongle' up & I should see it as a new device on the plotter NMEA devices?? Nothing new listed. To test that theory further I turned the VHF off & could see that device disappear from the list.

Am I missing something?

Should the Suzuki dongle on the cable power up from the NMEA bus power supply?

Any help appreciated.

Diolch,

Dave
    Last edited by BowansReward; 01-08-2020, 02:22 PM.
    Dave Bradford

There is a sticky thread near the top of this forum that explains Suzuki networks in detail.

I strongly recommend that you read it including the information paper attached to it so you understand how these networks work.

Comment

I have read through the guide, which is very informative. Having said that I have a very specific fault finding question that the guide does not answer.

Please can anyone answer my question?

Diolch
      Dave Bradford

Comment

The interface cable (that is the proper name) is powered by its connection to the engine.

This is made fairly clear by the question and answer towards the top of page 9 on my info paper. You must have missed it.

The Suzuki device (the interface) will not appear on a bus device list of send any data to the network unless:

(a) its connected correctly to the engine
        (b) the engine key is turned on and
        (c) the network is also powered on.

In this regard its the same as any other network device. To be seen on the network they must be turned on. As evidenc3d by the fact your VHF disappeared from the device list when it was turned off.

If you read the info paper you will also have read that the interface can only be configured by a Suzuki gauge (eg SMIS gauge or C-10, or by a suitable Navico display. Your Garmin cannot configure it.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-09-2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

OK Thank you for this. I do not have a 'Suzuki gauge' so is there another way I can configure it?

I do have an SDS for my engine, can this be used to configure/turn on the SMIS output?

Once again thank you/Diolch
          Dave Bradford

Comment

No. It can only be configured as I explained. SDS cannot do it. Garmin cannot do it. The Suzuki interface is made by Navico so it only talks their language when it comes to configuration and software updates.

I pointed this out to you on one of your earlier threads too.

Comfiguring is not about turning data output on, its about telling the network what its dealing with so it can manage the data properly.

You can temporraily attach one of the devices mentioned to your network, do the configuration, then take it off when done. The network retains the settings. again its all explained in the paper that you read.

Configuring it takes 2 minutes using one of those devices.

1. in fuel menu, complete the boat setup as per your boat arrangement eg 1 engine/1 tank or whatever you have. Set the tank capacity
            2. in the network menu, open device list, Open the Suzuki device, select configure, then set engine location/s as port, starboard or centre.

done.

All the answers to these questions and others are in the information paper. That is why I wrote it, so its all there in one place for people to read so they understand this system. It also saves me from having to repeat answers to the same questions.

Do yourself a big favour, read the paper front to back, and take the time needed to understand it.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Once again thank you. There was a lot of raw data to take in with your document and my expectation that it would be simply plug & play I didn't grasp some of the points that you've made.

Back to the drawing board.

Diolch
              Dave Bradford

Comment

I have now managed to sort out my SMIS - NMEA2000 problems. I had bought a second hand SMIS interface (very expensive new) the output had been modified by the previous owner. Problems were compounded as I was connecting the adapter into an SDS port that I'd previously extended into the helm. Luckily I have an oscilloscope and was able to determine the function of each wire and connect to the right connecter in my SDS changeover box.
                The SMIS adapter draws its power from the ECU +12V (grey), not the NMEA power as I'd expected.
                The Garmin chart-plotter (GPSMAP922SX) does NOT need to configure the interface at all! As soon as the interface was correctly wired and the engine turned on, a new device appeared in the network list and I was asked a number of questions about fuel tank capacity, fuel in tank and maximum revs etc. A new icon of "Engine gauges" appeared in the display list.
                I was then able to add in new hybrid display options such as 'fuel economy' and 'boat range'.
                I am very pleased with the result.
                The cable functions as below (adding function to Moonlighters colour codes):

ECU function SDS connecter colour SMIS cable colour
                +12V ------------------------- Grey --------------- Red
                0V (not ground) ----------- Black -------------- Black
                Data (non-return-zero) -- Yellow/Orange -- White
                Last edited by BowansReward; 01-26-2020, 10:42 AM.
                Dave Bradford

Comment

Working...
                X