No announcement yet.

20 HP 4 Stroke EFI - Manual Starter Locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this post regarding this issue on the tohatsu 9.9 EFI. https://www.microskiff.com/threads/a...tsu-efi.50859/ . Then downloaded owners manual for the tohatsu and it gives starting instructions much the same as the mechanic told you. This is from there manual..(For manual starter type)This engine is equipped with a compres-sion release mechanism.4.Pull the starter handle slowly until youfeel engagement, keep pulling till youfeel less resistance. Then pull itquickly. repeat if necessary untilstarted. I will try to post a screenshot. Went out and tried this technique and had success 5 out of 5 starts. I think there is a small bump on the camshaft, when you pull slowly and rotate the camshaft that bump will open the exhaust valve releasing compression. I feel like if you just yank on the cord from the get go it will be compression locked unless the bumb is in the right orientation. I only have 5 hours on this 9.9 so far so I'm just learning. Will keep you posted if i find out anything

Comment

Screenshot_20210606-213753_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Comment

Hi Suzuki9.9er,

Thanks very much for those suggestions to deal with the compression locking. I will try the suggested methods and hope that it will help.

Comment

Working...
        X