Proper prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper prop

I have a 2007 20' Sea Ark aluminum hull, with a 72" bottom and pontoons at the stern. The boat has a 15 degree hull powered by a 2007 DF150 hp Suzuki four stroke motor. The boat weighs about 2860 lbs with two passengers, gas (a 30 gal belly fuel tank) and gear. The WOT is about 5100 rpm running a Suzuki 3 blade 14 3/4 X 23 stainless propeller.

I'm thinking of replacing the propeller and have had several friends (not professional boat mechanics) advise on a replacement propeller. Two individuals felt the 23" pitch prop was a little aggressive and I should drop to a 21" pitch. The reason I'm looking to change the propeller is the outer edge of the blades are very thin (paper thin) and I have had to have the propeller rebuilt three time in the last two years. I don't abuse the boat, I will have gone fishing and when I lift the boat i find the ends of the propeller bent. I have used two different shops to rework the propeller, each claiming the other did a terrible job.

Please advise on a size and manufacturer of a propeller that I may purchase to replace this prop.

P.S. Is it possible to overwork a propeller to where the metal is soft.

yes you can go to a 21" pitch if you want it will bring up the rpms to about 5500 at wot and it might be better at that rpm. And also yes you can overwork the propeller. each time it gets repaired it gets weaker and weaker. Also every time it gets repaired more and more metal gets taken away thats probably why the blades are so thin. If its aluminum you might want to go to a stainless prop they are the most durable.

Comment

Working...
    X