Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki Multifunction Gauge reading 2.2 times speed from Lowrance GPS over NMEA 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Multifunction Gauge reading 2.2 times speed from Lowrance GPS over NMEA 2000

I see some similar posts and/or topics, but don't see the solution or answer I'm seeking. Recently I added the NMEA 2000 backbone/network to get GPS (graoundspeed) to my multifunction gauge so that I could see real time mpg readings. The gauge has been spot on for fuel consumption, both GPH and subsequently total gallons used is correct.

Setup:
    Df200A
    Lowrance Elite 7 HDI
    Suzuki multi-function Gauge
    NMEA 2000 between gauge and gps unit, correctly configured with power, backbone and terminators.

Issue is that the multi gauge reads 2.2 times the actual speed on the GPS. This does wonders to for mpg readings, but I'm wanting real data, not bragging rights. Any idea what might be causing this?
    I have checked with both units set to miles, nautical miles, and kilometers respectively. There is no change in the error factor of 2.2X.
    Any help, advice or ideas of what to check would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Les

No idea, that is seriously weird.

Can you try a different GPS instead of your Elite? Any HDS series unit should plug into the same power plug as the Elite I think....

Have you spoken to your Suzuki dealer? What do they say?

Comment

Thanks, I'll try a buddies better/different model Lowrance gps unit this weekend.
      Local dealer has no idea, asks me to bring boat in, can't do that, it's fishing time!

Comment

Im guessing but if the alternative unit does the same thing, it may be a software glitch either in the Lowrances or the gauge.

Some years ago i found a glitch in the first generation HDS that messed the Suzuki fuel calibration process up. Told them and they fixed it in the next sw update. So its not beyond belief. Maybe try a different brand MFD too such as a Garmin.

Comment

lesval Hey did you have any success with finding a solution for this? I’m having the same issue and haven’t found a fix. Thanks in advance!

Comment

In the new Suzuki MFG4 gauge (the version with rounded corners) there is a source setting for speed.

You need to turn it OFF to enable it to use GPS data from a networked GPS. This sounds counter-intuitive but it does need to be done, otherwise it tries to read water speed from a non-existing speed sensor in the engine.

Try that and see what difference it makes.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-02-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Moonlighter Thanks for the reply. I had already done this which allowed the nmea network to supply the speed from my lowrance but it is still displaying over twice the actual speed on my Suzuki display than my real speed which is displayed on my lowrance and verified with my iPhone. Seems to be a weird glitch somewhere.

Comment

Moonlighter Thanks for the reply. I had already done this which allowed the nmea network to supply the speed from my lowrance but it is still displaying over twice the actual speed on my Suzuki display than my real speed which is displayed on my lowrance and verified with my iPhone. Seems to be a weird glitch somewhere.

Comment

How do I reset the fuel used and trip information on the MF4. Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by dlcromwell View Post
                    How do I reset the fuel used and trip information on the MF4. Thanx
                    See this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfaAR4P1Fgk

Comment

Thanx a lot

Comment

Working...
                      X