Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMG4 Gauge wiring questions- supposed to be simple? Maybe its me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMG4 Gauge wiring questions- supposed to be simple? Maybe its me?

I just purchased the "new" SMG4 gauge for my 2108 DF90A outboard and am very excited about the features. I cannot, however, for the life of me understand the wiring diagrams that come with the installation manual. I am trying to replace my analog gauge on my singe engine with the new MFD and have manual shift (non electronic). Also, i would like the NMEA 2000 installed but my GPS is not 2000 compatable so I guess that can wait.

So my questions:

1) Part numbers that came in my 30000- 94L43 kit
    harness- 36661-96l30
    MFD - 34200-96L20

First of all did i get the right parts from my local dealer for the install? I see some kits online with numbers of the 34000-96-L10 for the MFD and then 36661-96-L20 for the harness.

2) Next, the installation manual

In the attached diagram I have 3 questions
    1) at point #1 there are two connectors. I assume they go directly to the connector that feeds the old tach? I only have one that I see will fit this. Also I have 3 other wires that feed the back of the tach ( yellow, black and grey) what am I supposed to do w these? There are other lights which are the instrument lights that I can figure out a way to replace these.

2) connectors 3P and 2. What the heck are these? they are not the tanks nor the NMEA and cannot see where to connect any power to these at all. I dont even see how to open up the long connector that has 6 black wires and then 4 grey wires connected to it. THis is supposed to be the power to the unit?

3) what is all this - I know that I am supposed to connect the analog port on the engine to the digital port and will figure this out when I get around all the other stuff

Many many thanks in advance!
    Dave Dunbar
    Attached Files

Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

I just wired one up to a 250 and was pretty well plug and play. Harness extension goes engine harness up to dash....then had another harness with the gauge connectors...number 2 looks like it might be the sub battery cable? (White wire)?

Comment

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I am still digging and while I'm pretty handy I just dont want to hook this think up incorrectly.
        So far from my research and referencing the above diagram:

1) connects to engine harness and have to switch to the digital side of the engine instead of the analog. The trim is also connected to the surface mount shifter connection

2) I still dont know what this is. ... not sure about the white wire.

3) Again, no idea what this represents on the above diagaram

Here is what I think I need to do in order to conncet

1) disconnect current tach
        2) plug 4 pin into back of SMG4
        4) connect trim sensor- 2 pins
        3) on wiring harness supply either NMEA power or hook directly to 12 Volts
        4) connect tank 1 to the current tank signal
        5) change connector on engine from analog to digital

Thoughts?
        Dave D

Comment

Hey folks, I'm asking the same question here as the OP. I have the same gauge harness (36661-96L30) and trying to use it to connect a new SMG4 gauge to a 2018 DF115 with mechanical controls.
          Curious if the OP ever got this gauge connected and if so, how.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I got it connected. What confused me was the power and NMEA 2000 backbone. You will need a backbone to get power and GPS data. Simple to connect once you buy the network. I actually bought a Garmin NMEA2000 antenna and plugged it into network- my current GPS wasnt 2000 compatible

Comment

Thanks, I also got it working but my issue was the engine interface. We had to swap the interface plug on the port side of the engine to the gray plug in order to use the digital gauge.

Comment

Pleas help I am installing the same as above but getting a Check gauge C im taking over a harness that connectors were all spliced. So what hooks to the Yellow and Grey plug then the white and black plug i found my fuel witch was Pink and dark blue wire. i bought the suzuki backbone and lowrance .

Comment

Hi seaveepete and doubledeed - I'm in the same boat(!) as you guys were, and have the 36661-96L30 adapter. I'm equally confused about the 3P gauge power in the diagram, and I can only think that this is not needed when using 36661-96L30 and the gauge power is supplied from the engine / main wiring harness. Is this correct and how you had it connected? The NMEA 2000 backbone shouldn't be needed for this to work as far as I understand it, unless the 96L30 adapter requires it to source power from somewhere. What was your experience?

Comment

Working...
                  X